Jamboree Day Visit question

Due to the steep cost of Jamboree, only a few of my Scouts were able to sign up to go (the promised fundraising never really got off the ground, and local was asking for $1500 per Scout, the $800 fee for national and $700 "for everything else", which must include gold tent stakes and filet for every meal since we are only a six hour or so drive from Jamboree). Because this only happens once, the troop has planned a day trip to Jamboree. We've got our (nearby)campground reserved and our transportation ducks in a row.

This is what I don't know (and the website is unclear) - do you register to attend as a day visitor, or do you just show up? Do visitors have to register to attend the arena show (the website DOES state that vistor hours are extended that day, so I know visitors are allowed to attend)? Are there any costs we pay to get in as visitors or attend the arena show?

If anyone can answer these questions, it would be much appreciated! No one around here seems to know or know who we could ask...

21 Years ago when I went visitors just showed up. I went to what I guess was the Arena Show that had Lee Greenwood as the performer and Steven Spielberg introduced cinematography mb. If you don't bring your own food to eat there will be the cost of buying it on site.

Just released from Nat'l Jambo people re visitors reads in part:

At the gates to the visitor parking area, we will be collecting a $10 donation per person per day to

recover the expense of visitor support, and to aid in the restoration of the site. This will help us perform

grounds clean‐up, provide additional portable restrooms and sanitation stations, and enhance the many

amenities and services provided for the visitors to the Jamboree. All visitors will receive the distinctive

Visitors Patch.

To help expedite arrival for vehicles carrying 8 or more people, we are encouraging councils and other

large groups to send one check for $10 per person per day in advance. Please use the Visitor

Information Transmittal form below. Upon receipt, a voucher and windshield placard will be sent to the

designated group leader. The voucher will need to be presented to the Jamboree Welcome Team to

facilitate a quick entrance using the Easy Entry Lane (represented as (E) on the window placard)

If you have access to the Yahoo Group, you'll find the whole memo posted. Dated April 19, 2010.

JerseyScout,

The news about the donation is news to me.

However you might want to check to see if your going to be allowed to camp "(nearby)campground reserved".

In the past no Tour permits have been issued for units wanting to camp within a certain

distance.

I can't remember if it was 50 or 100 miles.

It might be worth checking with your Council Service Center.

With any luck some of the money collected will be used to rent a lot more Porta-potties.

At the last Jamboree they had 70,000 people at the show and a grand total of 24 potties.

The lines were very long.

But the dancing of the people in the lines was far more interesting than the show. Which I'm sad to say just wasn't that great.

The show in 2001 was great with he old guy playing Somewhere over the rainbow on his saw.

Ea.

Ea.

What 24 potties for 70,000 people, yikes, I can't believe that even the BSA was that disorganized. Better bring a big baggie and a spade and find a big tree far away, lol.

I hope you got that wrong Ea, otherwise I can see there are gonna be a lot of awfully sick scouts and visitors from the unsanitary conditions.

Thanks for the heads up, $10 seems quite reasonable. We'll have to submit a form.

We didn't submit our tour permit yet (waiting for First Aid re-training for the tour leader), but we do have our camping reservation at King's Dominion Campground (owned by the amusement park). They are offering a "discount" to troops doing day trips to the Jamboree, as well as a discount to Jamboree troops who want to go to an amusement park.

As chair of a contingent from my council I am well aware of the expenses involved in the Jamboree. Though you council is only 6 hours from the site there are expenses involved and I doubt if they include fillets and golden tent stakes. $1500 is on the low end of what at least 50% of the boys attending jambo are paying. Some from the west coast are around $3500. With a reduced transportation cost I am sure your council was able to decide on a cost and work to that adding touring and whatever to make it a great adventure. I also wouldn't blame your council since the jamboree planning is normally done by volunteers and it is pretty much up to them to find scholarship money and do fundraising.

Herb D.

BadenP

I'll bet if you were to fly over the area behind the Arena there is a big spot which is bare.

The Show really wasn't that good. We just hung out waiting for the fireworks.

I decided it was time to sneak off away into the woods for a sly smoke away from all the Scouts. When I got there every tree was occupied.

Thousands of little Lads watering the trees.

I never did get my sly smoke!

Ea.

24 Porto johns was just at the arena and was not enough. Beware that on one of the show dates AP Hill will not admit any visitors (likely a security reason due to an expected distinguished visitor). Scouts and scouters are welcome to visit however, visitors will not be able to participate in many (most) of the Jamboree activities. The program areas such as the action centers, swimming & boating, are for the participants. The participants are paying for the program through the jamboree fee. The $10 visitor donation will not result in a pass to use all of the program areas, and it should not. Visitors are welcome to sample the exhibits, daily special shows, arts and science exhibit, and to tour the site. Some activities, such as the OA show, are ticketed events and the tickets are programed for the contingent units in advance. Don't expect to be able to visit that show.

Hey hotair

Your information does not exactly jive with the article from Scouting that infoscouter refers to in his post. I think I will take my information from an official source than an anonymous poster. Thanks infoscouter. I am taking six members from the Venturing crew to visit for a couple of days, we already have accomodations north of Richmond, before we head to some Civil War battlefields and D.C.

BadenP

I think my reply post was accurate since the Jamboree website states in part:

"Monday, July 26: No visitors allowed.

"What Can Visitors Do?

"A lot! Here are some of the options: the Army Adventure Center, Conservation area, Exhibits & Displays, 100th Anniversary Arena Show, Venturing, 2013 Jamboree display, Technology Quest, Brownsea Island, Disabilities Awareness, Amateur Radio as well as the Trading Posts, Scout Shop, and food outlets.

"What Can't Visitors Do?

"Some activities are reserved for participants only. These are: regional Action Centers and Stage Shows, all subcamp activities, Mysterium Compass, Boating, Scuba, Swimming, Snorkeling, Camp Thunder, Fishing and the Merit Badge Midway."

I said that many activities are reserved for participants and that is an accurate statement from reading the website reference.

The activities the visitors can participate in are worth the trip and will be memorable. The point I was trying to make is that visitors should not expect to do everything the participants can.

My apologies if that was unclear.