Philmont 2010 - openings!

We were about #1000 on the waiting list for this summer. I got a letter today saying they have had an unprecidented number of drops and have worked their way through the entire waiting list. They are giving waiting list folks one more opportunity before opening up the opportunity for new crews.

We're heading to Sea Base and can't swing two HA trips in one summer. For some very lucky folks, it's time to jump-start your training and fitness program for the adventure of a lifetime!

Same thing happened in 1985. Numerous units had scheduled treks way in advance, but changed plans due to the National Jamboree for the 75th Diamond Jubilee. My unit had decided late that we wanted to return to Philmont, and we got a prime date for our trek. I kind of regret not going to the Jamboree as a scout, but I will never forget my trips to Philmont.

Don't feel bad about choosing other options, plenty of others are waiting in the wings to take part in the great programs at any of the high adventure bases.

Welcome to the Depression.

I have a friend, a professor at a state university. His school runs a one week music camp as part of the summer program. His registrations are down too.

I think many families are making tough choices, and supplemental challenges for their children are below the cut line.

• 2 weeks later...

Our council has notified us that Philmont has 1,800 openings for treks this summer. They went through the entire 10,000+ wait list and STILL have 150 full crew slots open.

If anyone has ever wanted to go to Philmont but couldn't because of the long wait list,THIS is the year!