Using Alcohol for cooking

John in KC you hit the nail on the head. This is indeed an epic over "mouse turds".

Any cooking expert who cooks with wine or beer will tell you that only the essence of the grapes or the hops and barley remain when you flavor a dish with wine or beer, the alcohol burns away very quickly under the heat. As far as a scout outing is concerned the boys will not be exposed, in spite of what some may think, to the evils of booze, but if you have some puritanical parents use your best judgement to preserve the peace.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any cooking expert who says that the alcohol dissipates quickly hasn't read the scientific studies and has their facts wrong. I'm not debating whether its appropriate use on a scouting event, just making general comments about cooking.

Nolesrule,

Let me add them up:

beer + hamburger + ketchup + rice = 4.

I suppose for your dinner I'd recommend a a chekered plastic table cover, a lousy paper plate, a solo cup (or can coozy) and a plastic spork!

Go Gators!

My thought regarding the suggestions to put the wine or beer in another container for transport to the campsite: I would be very upset if I found that my son's leaders were cited for transporting open containers of alcoholic beverages, an activity against the law in most if not all states, during a scout camping trip. Even if the wine had an onion in it.

Yah, sasha, an open container means one that the driver or passengers can drink from. I don't reckon anyone is goin' to get a citation for havin' 8 ounces of white wine and an onion in a bottle in da spice kit that's packed in the trunk. :)

I just looked in on this thread because I couldn't figure why a thread about alcohol stoves would be goin' on so long.

I'm with John-in-KC as usual. If someone brings enough cooking sherry to cook a meal (as opposed to bringin' a gallon of the stuff) and you're gettin' heartburn over anything besides what you ate, then yeh need to get a grip. Go for a hike. Play with kids. Take your family out to a restaurant and have somethin' with a nice bordelaise that yeh share.

Exception of course is if yeh have religious objections to alcohol. I don't know the position of the LDS, but my guess is that most would avoid the wine sauces.

Beavah