What constitutes camping

Normally I would say this is a silly question. But the more I think about it, the more confused I become. Doesn't help that the troop we are in hasn't tent camped other than resident camp in almost a year.

So, what constitutes camping? Must you use a tent? May the overnight be in a cabin? What if it's a building but your meals are prepared over a campfire? (I won't ask about the 'sleepovers' we have.)

Or is it just the Committee Chair and Scoutmasters call?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wasn't your troop in an episode of King of the Hill? You remember, the one where Hank and a new neighbor form a troop, but the other guy insists on "camping" indoors? Of course, Hank, Dale, Bill and

This is requirement 9A from the Camping merit badge

a. Camp a total of at least 20 days and 20 nights. Sleep each night under the sky or in a tent you have pitched. The 20 days and 20 nights must be at a designated Scouting activity or event. You may use a week of long-term camp toward this requirement. If the camp provides a tent that has already been pitched, you need not pitch your own tent.

I would use this as a definition of "camping", I am sure there are many others

Prairie, I think it's great that the scouts wanted to become more proficient at pitching a non-freestanding tent, but just wanted to point out that it was not necessary to qualify for the MB. The requirements make an exception for camp tents that are already set up.

Must you sleep in a tent? No, sleeping under the stars is permitted and is a great experience (although it's not a bad idea to have a tent set up in case weather rolls in).(This message has been edited by the blancmange)

Wasn't your troop in an episode of King of the Hill? You remember, the one where Hank and a new neighbor form a troop, but the other guy insists on "camping" indoors? Of course, Hank, Dale, Bill and Boomhauer came to the rescue in the end.

Yep.

• Downvote 1

For what its worth, if the unit my son was in only cabin camped or had 'sleepovers', I'd be looking for a new unit.

Go with the definition in the Camping Merit Badge, then go get a new Troop! Surprized you can get any sleep on a "sleepover" with the rotor-wash and sound of all the heli-parents hovering around their sons - sheesh!

I knew about the stipulations for the Camping MB, so we obviously haven't accomplished much in completing that in the last year. I just wasn't sure what others mean when they say they go camping each month.

The boys canceled a hiking overnight last fall because they didn't want to camp in the cool weather and elected to hold a "lock in" playing games, movies etc. Those have been held at least three times in the last year.

They've 'camped' at the Ozarks three times, but it's in a building free to them to use. I just learned that they actually cook in there too. Previously I was under the impression they were cooking over a campfire. Uhg!

I don't know why the boys are involved in Scouting if they aren't interested in camping or outdoor activities. I'm guessing the adult leadership needs to be more selective in what they allow the boys to plan. But it could be the leaders looking for an easy way out too. I just don't know.

We have been thinking of looking at another Troop, there is one in a neighboring city. Other than that, those are our two choices.

Are any of the boys advancing? Are there new boys joining? Are they advancing?

If your Troop does no tent camping, my question would be - how are these boys advancing?

Tenderfoot requirement # 2 - Spend at least one night on a patrol or troop campout. Sleep in a tent you have helped pitch.

2nd Class requirement # 3a - Since joining, have participated in five separate troop/patrol activities (other than troop/patrol meetings), two of which included camping overnight.

2nd Class requirement # 3b - On one of these campouts, select your patrol site and sleep in a tent that you pitched.

1st Class requirement # 3 - Since joining, have participated in 10 separate troop/patrol activities (other than troop/patrol meetings), three of which included camping overnight. Demonstrate the principles of Leave No Trace on these outings.

The Camping MB is required for Eagle. Have any of the boys earned it?

There is nothing wrong with doing SOME cabin camping. However doing ONLY cabin camping, or lock-ins, will not fulfill rank requirements.

It is the job of the Troop leadership to provide a good, balanced, program. Even if all of the boys say they are not interested in advancement (unlikely), the Troop should be providing opportunities for those who may decide they want to reach Tenderfoot some day.

Of course, the Troop might just be signing boys off on the pitching/sleeping in tent requirements, without actually requiring them to do so.

Wow, we definitely have something wrong going on then. My son is scheduled to receive his First Class rank at next week's COH. We've only been told they have to complete 5 activities, camping out was not mentioned. The Scoutmaster signed off on it and he passed his BOR.

As far as I know, they didn't get any Webelos to cross over last year. My son was the only one as we just moved here. At resident camp he earned almost everything to get him his Second class rank. I want to say almost half of our Troop is working on their Eagle. (We have around 25 boys) Not sure if they've already knocked out their Camping MB.

Sigh....

I tried to edit my post, but the forums were down after that. Yes, I knew there were some overnights - most of which were counted from Resident camp (5 nights). I am guessing that the SM is considering the overnight in a building his last needed "camping overnight". Hence my original question, what is considered camping. :)

The camping MB now requires campouts to be in a tent on a troop or patrol trip. It used to include family trips but I think they changed it because too many families had very loose terms for camping.

My son's MBC was going to give him credit for one night out with me when he saw the photo's of us backpacking out into the state game area in 10 inches of snow. He didn't need it though. He's pushing 100 nights in the last three years.

Our council has a year round camping award that is looser. It requires one night per month but allows some cabin camping. Last month, the troop had no trip scheduled, so my sons pitched a tent in the backyard in the middle of a small blizzard.

I am a big supporter of boy led......but believe in adult directed. We are charged with providing the promise of scouting to them. A boy decided lock-in due to cold weather is NOT a campout. Our troop does one indoor activity per year. We usually do a trip to the Scouting museum, an aquarim or a lock-in in July. July is usually our lowest turnout due to kids having just got back from summer camp, going to church or sports camp and vacations. The other 11 months we are outdoors regardless of weather. Last August was a float trip with highs in the 90's at night with about 95% humidity and misquitos and January is usually a trip to Kansas where it is often only in the teen's or lower during the day. The few times we have packed up early or cancelled was due to ice storms. Scouting is an outdoor program and it's principles and lessons are taught thru outdoor skills. You need to either confront the status quo or find another troop.

This question, by default also begs the answer to "What constitutes Cabin Camping?"

Cabin camping is defined as overnighting in an enclosed structure with electrical access. Hence, travel trailers and motor homes, especially when hooked up to power would not count. I agree that this is meant to rule out ambiguous family camp experiences which are now excluded for the camping MB.

Curiously, the National Camping Individual award has not been updated, but it does include family experiences and a much more in depth description of what does or does not count:

What Counts As Camping

-Sleeping in tents.

-Staying in rustic cabins (no electricity).

-Under the open skies.

-You participated in setting up and breaking camp.

-You participated in camp chores.

-You participated in camping activities (hiking, swimming, nature exploration, conservation projects, etc).

-A full day of camping counts as a "day", late arrival and early departure days together count as a "day".

-Camping trips you can verify that they took place, (parents, Troop Leader, SPL, signs off).

What Doesn't Count As Camping

-Luxury motor homes.

-Campers with electricity.

-Lodges, motels, cabins with electricity.

-When you do not participate in setting up or breaking down camp.

-When you do not participate in camping type activities.

See the National Camping Individual award:

http://www.mninter.net/~blkeagle/pubs/nca-i.pdf

Understandably, Rank/Merit Badge requirements are different than the National Camping Award reqirements. Interstingly, this description seems to be based on "days", whereas I had always perceived to be a sum of "nights."

"The camping MB now requires campouts to be in a tent on a troop or patrol trip. It used to include family trips but I think they changed it because too many families had very loose terms for camping."

You would think that instead of changing it to just troop or patrol they could define what camping should be or limit how many nights could be with family. (BTW, how would a Lone Scout earn his camping MB among others?) It looks like it will be awhile before my son earns his. Our spring break camping trip was just canceled.

double sigh...