I don't recall there being any council approval needed for camping on private property, such as a farm. You would have to obtain permission from the owner and follow the BSA Property Smart guidelines, of course.

I think council campground approval has more to do with Cub Scouts than Boy Scouts.

AvidSM is correct. Approved camping list is an issue for Cub Scout camping, not Boy Scout. If I understand the concept right, it revolves around safety and sanitary issues surrounding elementary age appropriate environments. However, to me, this is one of those gray areas; after speaking to our council PD several years ago, he was completely unfamiliar with this "requirement," which is clearly referenced in BALOO training. Great idea, but for the implementation, the right hand doesn't know that there is a left hand.

Asichacker, thanks for the link. I will certainly pass that on to our people when I speak to them next.(This message has been edited by Buffalo Skipper)

WestCoastScouter is talking about a CUB SCOUT Family Overnighter.

The form Infoscouter posted is the Pack Overnighter Site Approval form, and is what needs to be approved by your Council in order for your Pack to camp on the farm. The mandatory standards are the ones that must be met. The site amenities, while nice to have available, are optional. Contact your council to see who is allowed to do the site inspection (your Pack leadership, or a Council staffer).

It is not "bureaucracy", it is SAFETY. Free or not, I would want to know that MY son is camping at a safe facility. Of course, your feelings are free to differ.

my son's troop has camped on "farm" land owned by one of our adult leaders. we simply made sure it met all of the rules for camping facilities and filed all the necessary forms.

biggest reason we went there was the boys were wanting to do some hiking that was not trails which around here that's about all we have.. they wanted to get out and explore with just a basic map and compass and really try planning out different routes rather than always have to go the same way everyone else always goes.

boys had a lot of fun - even got a little fishing in too.