NCAC Cub Scout Campsite recommendation

That list is two years old.

you could do your own survey and submit the paperwork. I have found that most state parks meet scouting Standards I would not limit myself to that list.

What type of camp out are you planning???? Just get the guys into the woods or a specific activity???

In MD, I can vouch for Little Bennett, very Scout friendly, and have visited Cunningham Falls and Cedar Creek. They tend to be crowded early. Ask the Rangers for the least crowded weekends at any State Park.

Washington Monument is pretty and more rugged, and right on the AT. Might not be as popular with the public. Go there in person to scout out the facilities if at all possible.

And, don't forget CWBSnyder, the Council camp.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you looking in MD or VA?

I have not been to all of the state parks, but have always had good success with both the MD and VA state parks that I have attended. (In addition to nice facilities, the online reservation systems are very user friendly.)

Little Bennett is a GREAT place to take cubs... but it is probably too late to get reservations for a May weekend (unless you're talking 2011). Give them a call NOW and cross your fingers.

P64 out of Gaithersburg, MD routinely goes to Gambril State Park in MD because that works well for them as well. I just checked their reservation system. Plenty of sites left for 5/28-5/31... but you must stay for 3 nights over that holiday weekend!

Happy hunting! (that's hunting for a location, not prey)

mike

• 2 weeks later...

Some of it depends on the size of your pack. We have about 70 boys, so for a camp out we'll have close to 120 on Saturday night. From what I found, not too many places can accommodate that many. Our pack is in Northern Virginia. We have been to Pohick Bay Regional Park several times. We also had a trip planned to Burke Lake Park (cancelled due to weather last fall). We are also planning a trip to one of the cabin camps down at Prince William Forest Park. Those are the only ones I have personal experience with.

Yep...State Parks (although they can get pretty expensive)...National Parks (a little more reasonable). There also may be some local Wildlife Sanctuaries that are suitable and have the needed facilities.

Also, don't forget about your council reservations. A few years back we began having out Spring Camp-out at one of the Council Camps because at 170 boys, not too many places could accommodate our numbers.