Is paintball now an sanctioned Boy Scout activity?

I know that it was not sactioned when I was a Scout. I had heard through a District fella last year that the new head honchos at National were considering sanctioning it, but never heard anything more. I assumed that, like it is with anything National considers (other than medical forms), nothing had changed.

Anyway, the Girl Scouts challanged the troop to a day of paintball. I told the girl scout boss (Scoutmaster? I'm not sure what her title is) that Boy Scouts did not allow it. The Scout nearest me (our ASPL) overheard me and gave me a strange look, saying that he had seen paintball in a recent issue of Boy's Life, which would be quite odd if it was not allowed.

Anyone know or know what my ASPL is talking about?

Paintball is NOT allowed. The quotation from the G2SS defines what is allowed:

Pointing any type of firearm or simulated firearm at any individual is unauthorized. Scout units may plan or participate in paintball, laser tag or similar events where participants shoot at targets that are neither living nor human representations. Units with Council approval may participate in formally organized historical reenactment events, where firearms are used and intentionally aimed over the heads of the reenactment participants. The use of paintball guns, laser guns or similar devices may be utilized in target shooting events with Council approval and following the Sweet 16 of BSA safety. Council approval means the approval of the Scout Executive or his designee on a tour permit specifically outlining details of the event.

(However, law enforcement departments and agencies using firearms in standard officer/agent training may use their training agenda when accompanied with appropriate safety equipment in the Law Enforcement Exploring program.)

I saw the article/photo in the BL and was equally surprised and confused. When I went back and looked more closely, it was obvious that the shooter was target shooting and not a target himself.

More and more camps around here are adding paintball to their list of activities. I believe that is is ok only if the scouts are shooting targets and of course have adults that are trained, NCS Shooting Sports Director for example.

Though it is only at targets it does add another level to shooting sports for the BSA. BBs, .22s, shotguns, slingshots, paintball, and marshmallow guns. In some cases I believe black powder is allowed, I have been told it can only be demonstrated though.

Bryan,

I see this rule violated all the time with CS and their water guns. Heck my son has an old recuriting poster with Cubs shooting each other with water guns.

Wish national would get their act together on this one. When the ban on lazertag was briefly lifted, it was one of the most popular activities for several chapters I knew of.