Midwest higher adventure locations

Below is a map of locations with roughly 8 hours or 500 miles of Terre Haute, IN. Are there any you know of that I am missing? If you feel any on the below map aren't appropriate for Scouts let me know why.

You can find the map at

http://snipurl.com/midwest_scout_ha_locations

BTW, the blue icons are BSA facilities/events, green is forest/wildlife reserve types and red are normally parks. The one yellow is a Catholic camp recommended to me.

I did this for a Wood Badge goal.

What an awesome resource, thanks. The one way to flesh it out that I would suggest is to include some of the possibilities in Ontario Canada. We're in northwest OH and have camped and hiked at both provincial parks and scout camps there. The lack of population density on the northern shore of Erie and the eastern shore of Huron leaves a lot of room for outdoor adventures.

What a great idea.

Have you looked at Ma-Ka-Ja-Wan Scout Reservation in Wisconsin (Northeast Illinois Council)? They offer some high adventure programs including some off site programs to some prety nice places (like the Porcupine Mountains). They also have their own horse ranch.

Have you thought about D Bar A Scout Ranch in Metamora, MI? They have a overnight horseback program called Yucca Trail. It's like a mini cavalcade at Philmont. Actually it makes a great prep for that. The kids get a horse ride out into the 1700 acres of camp, pitch camp and stay out with their horse, then come back a day or two later.

you missed IOWA! LOL

Iowa has tons of state parks... some of the favorites my son has hit are Backbone State Park (trout fishing), Ledges State Park (hiking trails), Maquokata State Park (caves)

the list could go on but I'll stop there.

you missed IOWA! LOL

Not entirely - Yellow River SF, right on the river, is on there. Another vote for Maquoketa Caves from me. It's good for a wide variety of ages and abilities. Both our pack and troop have gone there. Nice group as well as hike-in campsites. Although Porcupine Mountains in the UP is slightly outside your 500 mile range, I think it is worthy of inclusion.

Great ticket item.

Are these all places that have hosted units and activities in the past, or is a it just a SWAG at places that could host?

I have to ask what 'higher' adventure is? I like the cavalcade in MI, that sounds very interesting.

I used to be an OWL...

You might want to add the Bay-Lakes Council's "Wolf River Adventures" program to your roster. Four different week-long treks are available, including river kayaking on the Wolf & Peshtigo Rivers, two of the best whitewater rivers in the midwest, sea kayaking, sailing and bike touring in Wisconsin's mini-version of Cape Cod - Door County, canoe trips on the wild Flambeau River in north central Wisconsin or a trek that includes many of the above activities on a smaller scale.

The council, located in Appleton, WI, has two summer camp facilities - Bear Paw and Gardner Dam - that offer these high adventure opportunities for Boy Scouts and Venturers from in-council, as well as all over the midwest. Here's a link to the brochure:

http://www.baylakesbsa.org/council/files/UpcomingEventsPDFs/WolfRiverAdventures2010_webv2.pdf

Any Council in the area one is wishing to visit should be able to provide some nice activities that fit well into "high adventure" for your scouts.

Northern Wisconsin has a couple of nice hiking trails (i.e. Ice Age). BWCA is nearby, as is Isle Royale. There are a few nice whitewater rivers as well, i.e. Bois du Brule and the Flambeau. Just contact the Councils. None of these activities I have mentioned are in my Council, but I surely know about them from talking with others who have been there, which in many circumstances is far more enlightening than looking at a map. Our area has a lot of primitive camping along the Mississippi River as well as a ton of bicycle trails. I'm sure every Council has a tale to tell about what they have to offer. Bay Lakes in Wisconsin also has within it's boarders the Oshkosh EAA fly-in which is totally fabulous for the boys. They also have many sea kayak opportunities on both Lakes Superior and Michigan hosted out of Wisconsin.

Dang, I'm beginning to sound like a travel agency salesman here... :)

Stosh

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another vote for Bay Lakes Council's Wolf River Adventures program.

Great program, great staff, lots of great treks to go on.

Also, one of Bay Lakes' camps, Bear Paw, has a natural climbing face, while Gardner Dam has a climbing tower ... different, but equally great, experiences.

Also, Gardner Dam is on the banks of the Wolf River, one of only a handful of summer camps in the country situated on a whitewater river!