As long as it's liquid, water of any temp will keep you hydrated, provided you drink enough. Cold weather dries you out quicker than you think, so bring plenty. Hot Cocoa adds some carbs, which help to keep your metabolism revved up. Caffeine is a diuretic, so watch your coffee intake. Beyond than, I'd say it's a metter of personal preference.

Have fun,

DWS

Nick, just curious, does your Troop do any cold weather training of any sort?

It just seems strange that your Troop is going on a backpack snowshoe/ski hike and they/you don't seem to know the first thing about winter safety.

Perhaps you should be talking to your SPL about these issues.

Bring both...for water I add just a little bit of gator aid. Just enough to barely taste it.

For a hot drink, consider Serpa tea (strong black tea with butter), or dudh chiya (black tea with powdered milk, and sugar). For myself, when making dudh I'll toss in a bit of butter also....

"It just seems strange that your Troop is going on a backpack snowshoe/ski hike and they/you don't seem to know the first thing about winter safety.

Perhaps you should be talking to your SPL about these issues. "

Np offense Scoutnut, but he didn't say his troop. He just said HE was hiking to a hunting hut. Might be something he's doing on his own outside of BSA and just asking for some friendly pointers.

Know what I mean?

Depends on the hike. If it's a strenuous hike and you're worried about weight, bring cool water (not ice cold). There will be times you're going to want to take a big slug of a drink and it's not pleasant gulping down a hot drink.

If you're not worried about weight, then bring both. Use the cool water for keeping yourself hydrated on the trail and have the hot chocolate at the end of the trail as a treat.

If this is a non scouting event, and you're 21 or older, then I suggest hot chocolate with a splash of Sailor Jerry, or Cruazan Black Strap rum to taste. Toss in some butter, add a few shavings from a very dark semi sweet chocalte bar for one awesome cold weather drink...

le Voyageur

When you take your "Wee Hike" to Scotland -Lose the rum.

Scotland is well known for a much better beverage.

Of course like anything else you drink. If you drink a lot you will really have a wee hike.

Eamonn

(Posted with tongue very much in cheek and a glass of Irish at hand.)

posted Sat, 1/16 - "My troop and I are going to a hunting camp next weekend and I don't know what to bring or what clothes to wear."

Sorry cclman, just a bit concerned that you, and other Scouts in your Troop, are going camping tomorrow, in winter conditions, that you don't seem ready for, without having had at least one prep meeting beforehand.

Hope all goes well for you guys!

The best way to address dehydration is always water. Anything dissolved in water increases the tonicity of the water leaving less free water. If the issue is maintaining hydration and a source of calories, then hot chocolate is good. As someone posted, many popular drinks cause a mild diuresis (increased urination). The most common source is from the methyl-xanthine group of which caffeine (coffee), theophylline (tea), and theobromine (chocolate) are the most common. Alcohol is not a way to hydrate, especially in the winter. Alcohol causes a peripheral vasodilatation (the blood vessels in the extremities get larger) which results in an increased rate of heat loss. Also, although alcohol can be completely metabolized to CO2 and H2O, much of the breakdown products are urinated as acetaldehyde and acetic acid. These products increase the tonicity of the urine resulting in a diuresis once again. So alcohol in the back country impairs judgement, increases heat loss, and does not hydrate. In my opinion, it is best to avoid alcohol in the back country.

I would hike in on Gatoraide and save the hot chocolate for the evening campfire. As long as you are moving you won't get cold. We require two liters of water at the front end of any big hike. Make one straight water and the other gatoraide.

You won't want the hot chocolate until at night when it gets colder and you are not moving.

I agree with others that your troop leaders should have covered this. Your question leads one to suspect that other winter hiking requirements have not been addressed. A packing list from a SM or one approved by the SM would have been nice. An equipment shake down one meeting prior would likely be needed for a trip like this too.