UnderArmour Question

This winter will be the first of many for my just-crossed-over Boy Scout, and we are planning his first Klondike and Winter Survival School (two consecutive winter camping weekends ...).

I have bought him a set of UA - compression type. Now I'm second guessing myself. Are those TOO close fitting? Should I exchange them for looser fit?

The compression (tight fit) would be good as the first or wicking layer next to the skin. Some of their looser fitting models, and other brands, would be good as the second layer. Lots of good advice out there about layering, I know backpacker.com has some good basic info besides all the other sources.

Hi,

Not sure about how your little guys do in the cold?

While I'm not a winter lover (Read fair weather camper!)

I do fine with my high wicking t-shirts (I wear cool max) which I wear for work. I have to wear a stab resistant protective vest which makes me sweat a lot!

I wear a lot of wool sweaters during the winter, so them along with a good quality winter coat (I have a few right now I'm into a nice one that I got from L.L Bean, last year I was wearing a Columbia jacket which I could have removed the liner from. -I never did!)

You might want to avoid jeans, as once they get wet they are about useless.

My feet and hands get really cold.

I found wearing two pairs of good fitting socks, one thin pair and one wool pair along with good boots take care of my feet.

Last year I went wild and bought a really expensive pair of gloves from a hunting store, they work well, but if your kids are like me when I was a lad? I tended to lose a lot of single gloves! My mother fixed that by sewing a tape to each glove which could then be threaded through the sleeves of my jacket.

A nice woolly cap on top and your guys should be good to go.

While I don't like the cold, I do go out everyday with the dogs and we walk about 3 -5 miles, no matter what the weather is.

Hope your guys have a great time.

Ea.

Is it comfortable for your son? If not, he won't wear it.

The other thing to remember is that your son will grow all too quick in the next few years. Buy good gear, but watch the price. Compare the cost at local stores with prices for store-brand gear from sellers like Campmor, Cabelas, Lands End, ... (consider shipping costs too).

Underarmour long johns are not that warm. Your better off buying polypropylene in various weights. Silk weight next to skin, medium weight next. I carry spare gear with me and have given young men replacement long johns after there underarmour was not warm enough. You could buy 3 or 4 piece of poly for one piece of underarmour. Sierra Trading Post.

Don't forget a good hat and socks.

He is going to need more than one complete set, top, bottom and socks. With Underarmour that will be a $150+ proposition especially for a boy who may out grow it by next winter.

As Eamonn eluded too everyone is different, he needs to learn what works for him.

I don't buy into the entire brand thing. All those high dollar athletes run the cost on their gear way up. Just my opinion.(This message has been edited by Basementdweller)

I agree with Basementdweller. There are plenty of synthetic long-johns on the market that don't cost nearly as much as UnderArmour, and they are probably warmer, too. You could probably buy 2 pair of lesser-known brands of synthetic long-johns for the price of one pair of UnderArmour (a Scout is thrifty). Brands like DuoFold, Red-Head, and other synthetics are quite good. Just steer clear of cotton.

UnderArmor is nice stuff. But its expensive and there's good cheaper options out there.

for a base layer, you want it close fitting, but not constricting. Close to the skin allows it to wick away moisture but doesn't cool the skin. Loose fitting will chill the skin as the moisture evaporates. Too tight, and it constricts the blood flow.

Mid layer, I'd go looser, something like a polyprop or wool. Then the outer layer is a shell really for just wind and water/snow.

Those three basic thin layers really keeps one warm in all but the most extreme conditions. And you don't look like the kids in A Christmas Story.

Early explorers had it right.

They used silk as a base layer, wool for mid and a canvas duck for the outter. We have synthetics that are much more reasonable. Abolutely no cotton and wool doesn't feel good against the skin.

Remember that what he wears during the day must not be worn at night!!! Day clothes collect moisture that will degrade the effectiveness of his sleeping bag, and he may sleep cold. He will need a set of sleeping clothes. Otherwise he may not be able to get warm. Lots of tips available and you might want to get him to do his own search on winter camping and winter warm tips. (Be Prepared sort of thing)

A good stocking hat, polartec is good (one for the day and one for the night) is light weight and what I prefer. Layering of clothing in the winter is a must. Wicking at the skin, transfer level next and a wind, moisture barrier on top of that. Types of material will depend on the weather. Neck gaiters are better that scarves as they don't come off easily and are normally harder to lose.

Footwear is also to be considered, feet need a wicking layer, transfer layer and waterproof and breathable outer. Same with hands.

A glove of polypropolene in a mitten is very warm and an overmitt over heavier gloves is very good also. Search overmiit and you should find links.

Sounds like a lot but there is information on the web to be found. Search layering, wicking, overmitt, and winter clothing.

Hope this helps. Do not be afraid of winter camping it is just a matter of learning, reseach and being ready for it. Put it in his hands to learn what is needed and be ready to be surprised at what he can and will learn.

Dump the cotton, 'Cotton Kills' It collects moisture and will not let it go easily. Hang some just washed jeans outside in cold weather and see how easily they let go of the moisture. Summer use of cotton is ok but winter no.

Warm in winter

yis

red feather

My son and I both have PolarMax brand "underpants". These were $16 per piece. WalMart carries an athletic underwear brand Athletic Works. On our backpacking trip last month, no fewer than half a dozen of our boys were sporting the long sleeve version of these.

The problem with any item made for the outdoors, especially these new high end garments, is, that they are seldom tested in the real world of the outdoors. For outdoor testing it's the consumer who becomes the test rat (no two are alike). If the item works well in the outdoors, then sells of that item will go up, if not, then the item is pulled, and another flavor of the month, must have wonder garment is hawked.

For myself, I prefer wool, and often make my own gear...a good wool blanket, or two (http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ZWN325-1.html), and several hours of sewing while sitting in front of the tele watching Survivorman, will produce a capote, a splitback weskit, Canadaian cap, mittens, and boot liners.

Also,prowling thrift stores for gear can keep the cost down . My last big haul included a nearly new LL Bean down vest, and jacket for 4 bucks, 25 cents.