New Jamboree Site/East Coast High Adventure Site Selected

I own some property near the new site.

In some ways having the Jambo site so close to home (We are Westmoreland Fayette Council.)Is going to take something away from the Jamboree experiences that our Scouts have. Kinda like camping in your own back yard.

Ea.

having backpacked a wee bit in that area, all I will say is, is that hiking in that terrain will make Philmont backpacking look like a cakewalk. Tough terrain overall, will take years of trail work to create a net work of hiking trails and outpost camps...needless to say, I'm keenly interesting in how National will tranform that area for the better; or worse, when the bucks don't roll in, call it quits as they did with Matagamon ...

Our Scout Executive came out at the last roundtable and said the Council is in the red $750,000 this year. Last year it was $250,000 and the year before $50,000 in the red.

One million needs to be made up just at out council. Where in the world is National going to get $300 million for this place?

Could all our old scout reservations be sold to pay for this one? So few scouts in our area will ever use this place; its a 1,000 miles or more from us.

Maefking,

Scout reservations across the country are owned and operated by individual councils, not national. Selling a property might get a council out of the red, but would never be spent on a national high adventure base as they belong to national.

SR540Beaver,

You of course may be right. But when a sister council sold a large chunk of land to a State land aquistion agency, it is my understanding that the sale proceeds were divided up between the council and National.

Maybe this particular council owed money to National. If so could it be that National will call in its money owed to purchase this new property?

"Seems to me that for a facility of this type (HA base, Training Center and permanent NJ site), 10,000 acres is on the small side. Philmont is 10x that size. "

New River Gorge is 70,000 acres. I'm sure that in BSA's mind they are seeing 10 + 70 = 80,000 acres to play in