I read this and think back to how we have had discussions about how 'Wilderness Susvival MB is a lost art'.

Maybe with this article boy scouts will realize that Wilderness Surival is something that they could really do.

About the only situation described in the article that was even remotely worthy of using one of those was the dehydrated hiker - and that only if he couldn't find any potable water source and had no way to treat it.

But since he was panning for gold - presumably (a) at a water source and (b) in possession of a pan in which water could be boiled - I don't even think that one qualifies.

I started seeing the ads for these types of devices a while back, and shuddered to think how many times my clumsy self would set one off accidentally. But accidental button-pushing can, I think, be forgiven. Stupidity and ill-preparedness is another issue entirely.

The article doesn't say, but more and more the rescued are charged for such costly rescue services. Helicopters don't come cheap, and I'd be surprised if they wouldn't assess the idiots something for dropping off water or getting them out of a situation they could have easily avoided.

On a related note, has anyone heard if the "balloon-boy" parents will be assessed the cost of their stunt? It's got to be huge, what with all the personnel and aircraft that were involved in following the balloon.

Search and Rescue has mixed feelings on these devices.

Sure, you could just "punch out" and call for help when you really don't need it.

But with these devices, if SAR is activated , they can pinpoint your position and effect a very efficent and safe rescue. Without these devices, it will take far more resources and money to just find you.

Look at the inside cover of your recent Scouter magazine. A uniformed youth, complete with neckerchief and backpack, wearing a locator on his back. It looks like a dog control device.

Now if I could push a button and get it to fire off a few volts of electricity, I bet I could keep little Johny from wondering off on his own. ;)

Some people just don't understand the term "mortified." Companies who sell these things should have to provide an insurance policy to be collected upon by the SAR service with a steep deductible.

If my son were going on a week long trip in the back country, with a buddy or two (cause if he went alone I'd brain him), I would insist he take a locator, for my own peace of mind. But, unless he had a serious illness or injury or some sudden weather related catastrophe, I would be furious if he used the thing.

For a lot of people they just represent a chance to do something you shouldn't or without proper preparedness because they know that they can always get help with the thing. However if used properly they can be a lifesaver. Here in Arkansas last month a photographer was back up in the Ozarks taking pictures of the waterfalls at Richland Creek and the ground gave way beneath him sending him over the edge of the falls area. He was caught by a tree, but suffered major broken bones. The only reason he is alive is because of his emergency locator/signaling device that he managed to pull out of his pocket and activate.