The troop is considering backpacking in Glacier National Park next summer. We are planing on taking the train from Sacramento thru Portland to Glacier, due to lower transporatino costs and baggage fees charged by the airlines.

Any tips/tricks/experiences you've had either in Glacier or traveling via train you'd be willing to share?

( things like transporting the stoves, fuel, bear spray etc we already have a handle on, btw )

My family took the train (Amtrak) from Milwaukee to Glacier a few years back. It was a delightful experience.

We had a family room in a sleeper car. I'm assuming your troop will be using the regular passenger cars. While I suspect your trip will be a lot shorter than our's, I did notice that the bathrooms in the passenger cars got fairly dirty after some time with so many using them over a fairly long time (not like a plane ride). You might want to bring along some basic gear (gloves, disinfecting wipes, plastic shopping bags for trash) to clean things up a bit if needed. Those aren't a bad thing to have along anyway.

The food on-board is quite expensive, and the snack car (can't remember what they called it) was usually full and busy, so consider bringing your own food that can be managed in their seats.

Ken

We have taken our troop to Glacier National Park three times and will again next August.

I would highly recommend backpacking in the adjacent Bob Marshall Wilderness. Last I checked no permits are required. The area is absolutely beautiful and you'll see far fewer people due to the remoteness.

Lodging should be reserved well in advance. Be aware West and East Glacier models can be expensive. Both park and private camping is available. I think the Rising Sun campground is the only NPS campsite with showers. If you are looking for cabin/showers the last day there is a KOA in the area and the Glacier Institute (a non-profit) that used to have availability at their Big Creek Outdoor Education Center.

If you have family members and younger scouts who want to come along you may want to consider reserving a group campsite for the duration and do day trips. Those going backpacking can camp at the campground site the first/last night (space dependent) or adjacent site.

Since you are traveling from the west coast you will get in at a reasonable time to tent camp the first night. This can be a cost savings. However, for those coming from the east coast the train can get in ridiculously late so you should make arrangements accordingly. Such as cabins or someone who arrived a day early to check-in to the campground. Coordinating pick-up of rental vehicles is also a challenge this late and you may need to arrange a shuttle.

For larger groups transportation will be a logistical challenge and expensive. Depending on the number of groups you'll need to manage expectations and be flexible so everyone can be dropped off and picked up from the trailheads.

Be prepared for fires! In the past we have had to rapidly adjust our routes due to areas being closed due to fires. Watch the news and arrive with enough maps to adjust routes. Obviously there is a chance you will have a permit for an area that closes due to a fire.

• 2 weeks later...

Contact Montana Council as they have a camp (Grizzly Base Camp) that was available for troops wanting to visit Glacier Park, Bob Marshal Wilderness, etc. They also have a camp on a 63 acre island (Melita Island) in Flathead Lake. It is filled most of the summer with summer camp. Maybe a summer camp plus another week out of "Griz Base" doing "The Bob" or white water rafting on the Flathead River bordering Glacier Park. Good luck with your trip.