First Class First Year

thanks jethehiker,

First Class First year is one of the most effective program tools we have. it starts with the New Scout Patrol program under the leadership of an Assistant Scoutmaster and a boy Scout selected by the adult leadership to be a Troop Guide. the Troop Guide is an older scout who can help to set a good scouting example for the new scouts in both skills and behaviour. the Guide is an voting member of the PLC (Patrol Leaders council) along with the patrol Leader from the New Scout Patrol. the new scout Patrol gets 2 votes in the PLC to hel keep the wants and needs of the new scouts frm being trampled by the decisions of the older scouts. New Scout patrol leaders rotate leadership every month so that everyone in the patrol attends a PLC meeting.

The New Scout Patrol uses a some what segregated program from the older scouts. It focuses on the skills and activities needed to achieve First Class Rank the first year.

I know alot of posters have shown concern fo new scouts advancing to quickly. 2 points to keep in mind, 1. that's the program. 2. the advancement criteria as defined iin the advancement policicies is 'did the boy do his best'. If he has to tie a bowline and it takes him an hour to do, he met the scouting requirement. He does not and should not be held to an adults standard of how well he should have done.

By focusing a specific program on the new scouts they will progress to First Class in the 11th or 12th month.

I highly recommend you develop added incentives such as a unique neckerchief for scouts who achieve the goal. really in a well planned program there is little reason for this not to happen with 100% of your scouts.

The results are great. Higher retention rates, energized advancement enthusiasm, better outdoor skills, better socialization with older scouts, stronger understanding of Patrol method and unit operations.

Once they attain First Class they can choose to stay together as an older patrol or shotgun into existing older patrols.

I happen to be reading the Scoutmaster's handbook in some free time at work today and came across this subject. In the chapter on Advancement (page 118 and 119), it talks about First Class First Year.

"However, boys should not be pressured to advance or given deadlines for completing various badges. The speed with which he completes requirements, and even the decision to advance at all, lies with each boy."

They recommend a special ceremony for recognized the scouts that have completed the First Class requirements. I like that idea and think it would appeal to the boys. Obviously, the boys would decided what that special ceremony would be.

I think the sentence that strikes at my heart and brain as a parent is these requirements "provide a Scout with a solid grounding in the skills that will allow him to take advantage of Scouting adventures."

Ah, the light bulb over my head went on -- then he will be more comfortable camping with the troop, he will have confidence in working on merit badges, service projects and such, he will know he can tackle most anything that can come up on a scout trip, that he can work with his patrol and troop, and that when he needs them, his troop & patrol will be there for him.

Thanks Bob!

I'm very inspired and upbeat about scouting since a few weeks ago when my 10 1/2 year old son says "I want to go back to that troop meeting, when can I go. I'm ready for Boy Scouts." Woohoo! The boy I thought would NOT be ready at 10 1/2!

Also, we have located a good troop. About 25 to 30 active boys. They have more that come and go with the ball seasons. A true boy-led troop. Good group of active parents, at least 8 registered as ASM. Always willing to get some new boys and new parents involved.

I'm also trying to figure out where I fit in, not wanting to be "mother hen" to any of the boys but wanting to be involved. It's a fine line to walk.

sctmom, May I recommend a position? With your enthusiasm and growing knowledge, you would be an great candidate for 'Troop Training Coordinator'. this is a relatively new committee position. You will need to attend New Leader Essentials (if you haven't already), Troop Committee Challenge and then Trainer Development/BSA 500, the last course helps you learn training skills and teaches you the BSA training continuim.

Your responsibilities are to promote training at all levels to unit scouts and scouters. You will also be able to deliver training to adults within your unit on a small group or one-on-one basis and sign their training records.

This would be a valuable service to your unit.

I thought about this more as I drove home last night. I tend to like analogies when explaining things to myself or others.

I know when I first heard of First Class in First Year that I thought "I think they are putting too much emphasize on the badges." I've heard other parents say the same. Now that I have learned a little bit more about Boy Scouting (thanks to this board and the Scoutmaster handbook), I see it differently.

Just saying to people that it helps retains scouts, doesn't really click with most. Why does it help retain scouts? Because if you know the basics you have can enjoy the bigger adventures, be more comfortable and have more FUN!

Like baseball, if you don't know how to hit or catch, it is not a fun game. But if you can hit and catch and throw (the basics), and you know the rules, you have a lot more fun at it. The same with music, once you learn the basics of music (don't ask me because I don't know what those are) you can have more fun playing a musical instrument. Reading a novel is difficult if you don't know most of the words, but after reading Dr. Seuss enough times, you can move up to the next level of books and enjoy them because you know the basics.

Maybe this is could be helpful in getting the parents to understand the reason for encouraging (pushing) their boy that first year to be involved and to reach for First Class. Give the parents (and boys) some examples of how mastering a certain skill in the requirements will make future adventures fun. If you know how to tie 5 different knots then you will be more prepared to learn rock climbing. Being comfortable setting up camp gives you more free time in camp to go exploring.