We have a backpack trip scheduled for later this month. One of my ASM's wants to take his son and go deer hunting while we are out there. Hunt during the day, spend the evening with the troop.

My reaction is to tell him no, that its a scout outing ( I know there are BSA rules about this, no need to state the obvious ). Taking his kid away from the troop doesn't bode well for the patrol method, teamwork, yada yada. If he wants to go hunting then do it separately from the troop.

So if he goes separately, he may still want to spend the night either with us or nearby, but then he'll have firearms in camp.

Comments? Advice?

( please don't criticize my ASM, he is VERY active and a great asset to the troop )

From the Guide to Safe Scouting in BOLD print:

"Except for law enforcement officers required to carry firearms within their jurisdiction, firearms shall not be brought on camping, hiking, backpacking, or other Scouting activities except those specifically planned for target shooting under the supervision of a currently certified BSA or National Rifle Association firearms instructor."

Let him have a choice. He and is son can either participate in the Troop activity or they can go do their own thing and not show up to the campout at all.

CA_Scouter,

I think your instincts are right on - hunt or Scout, but not both at the same time. Either his son is Scouting with the Patrol/Troop or hunting with him. Personally this sounds like the Troop is just a convenient base camp. What happens if they're successful - are they bringing the cacass back to the camp site or going home/to the taxidermist? The rules are clear and your feelings about are dead on with the rules.

First off I agree with what everyone else says, you canno combine these activities. Let them go off on their own and hunt.

But to play devils advocate here, how are you going to tell if he has the firearms with him. IF it is a non-council owned property, you do not have the right to search his vehicle. If the firearm is secured in a locked case, in his locked vehicle, out of sight, how are you going to prove it was there. On that note, how many parents do you have that may have a firearm in their vehicle when they come to scout meetings. I would hazard a guess that there are more firearms then you know about.

Around my area, if you were to search the parents vehicles you would probably find that half of the have either a rifle, shotgun, or a pistol in thier vehicle. Especially at this time of year.

Be considerate with this ASM and his son. If you are using a non-council owned property, (I know that BSA has their own rules about council owned properties and that is a whole different story) then ask him to make sure that the firearm is not an issue.

If it IS a council property then simply show him the policy and ask him to respect the wishes of the council. because if he doesn't then that can have him removed from scouting.

OK so who is going to berate me and tell me how wrong I am?

Ignoring the idea of a dad taking his son hunting while out on a Scout trip, I have a question - is the Troop going backpacking during deer hunting season in a natural area that is open to hunting? Based on the ASM's request, it seems to me that if they're able to join you at a site you've backpacked into at night, they'll be hunting fairly close by. Even if the ASM decides not to hunt (and I too would suggest that they need to choose between a hunting trip and a trip with the Troop), won't there potentially be other hunters out where you folks will be?

If you're going backpacking in a potentially active hunting area during hunting season, might I suggest that you folks invest in some blaze orange vests, hats, etc. and that every member of the unit wears it, prominently, while you're backpacking, and hanging around camp.

Sctdad,

All I would have to do is to ask him.

Calico,

yea, I hear ya. We've been out there several times over the years, this is a short 3miler introductory hike for our newer scouts, the 'active' zone is another coupla miles up the trail but yes, we've got some of those orange hats...

In reading your post I was really concerned.

But in thinking about it the trip is very short. In a nutshell, they could be going anywhere and returning to camp to sleep and spend the evening with you.

I would make sure he has the firearm secured and out of sight in his personal vehicle. If he or his son harvest a deer they should not show up to camp with it draped over the hood of the car.

We hike in hunting season too, Blaze orange and bear bells, they work better on hunters than bears.

Why?

Cause they really like us, I suppose.

We're all good friends both in and outside of Scouting.

Two Fridays ago myself, 2 ASM's ( including this guy ) went to see Ronnie Montrose ( there I've dated myself ). Woohoo what a blast.

Yeah, doesn't seem any different to me than a scout missing part of a weekend for a football game, grandma's birthday, or anything else. Have your ASM ensure his firearms are secured prior to heading into camp and if they do harvest a deer make them bring you back some venison summer sausage from the locker for crackerbarrel! (Personally, I like the kind with the pepper-jack cheese inside!)

Hunting is a great father/son bonding experience. Whatever you do, don't make this man choose between hunting with his son or scouting with his son. Scouting will lose.

OK, maybe it's just me, but I still can't quite understand why they want to do this in the first place. As ntrog8r wrote, they're using the troop as a base camp. It's not like a Scout coming late on Saturday morning because of band practice, or leaving Saturday afternoon and coming back after dinner because of a football game. The only reason, it seems to me, that they want to do this is because of the convenience and proximity of the hunting area to the camping area.

If you were camping in an area close to an outlet mall, would you allow parents to pull their kids away for the day to drag them around for a back-to-school shopping trip, returning them to the campsite on Saturday evening? I hardly think so.

If hunting is really important to this young man and his father, suggest they look into a local Venturing Crew. Hunting is a Ranger Award elective. That'll keep them involved and interested.