Shooting sports at Camporees

IT was mentioned in another thread that WEBELOS were not allowed to camp at Camporees and one possability was because shooting sports are held at Camporees.

My question: Does your District have shooting sports (Rifle, shotgun, archery) at your Camporees?

Thank you in advance.

YiS,

Rick

The short answer is yes.

But not to put too fine a point on it, Webelos aren't precluded from Boy Scout camporee because they have shooting sports. The rule is due to the programs at Boy Scout camporees are generally not designed or appropriate for Webelos. Shooting sports is certainly a prime example of that, but there could be a number of other activities taking place which wouldn't be approved for Weblos.

I don't want folks to get the idea that they can take their Webelos to a camporee if shooting sports aren't included.

No, no. I was NOT implying that. I was just curious as to how many Districts had the facilities (rangemasters, ect.) to do a shooting sport at Camporee.

Regardless of reason, BSA states that WEBELOS may be "Day visitors" only at Camporee, no overnighters. I am NOT advocating violating policy. Just curious about availability of shooting sports at Camporee vice Jamboree (District vice Council).

YiS,

Rick

We hold a "Shooting Camporee" every other year. A local gun club lets us camp out and use their facilities, We have target (22)rifle shooting, Shotgun clay shooting, Bow and arrow and tomahawk throwing. We provide all meals and basically make it a fun Camporee. The boys enjoy it and some have even said that it is the most enjoyable camporee that they attend. We have two range masters on hand at all times. We are planning to have another one this Spring.

Oops - forgot. Sometimes it also depends on which camp facility we are using - if there isn't an appropriate range, and equipment, then that's a consideration. Last spring was at a camp which only has a BB-gun range and BB-equipment, so it wasn't part of the program.

As others have said, it depends.

We have had shooting sports at some camporees. It depends on the theme, where the camporee is located, is there a safe place to set-up said shooting sport and is one of our council's few rangemasters available (ie, did we beat the other four districts to asking him/her).

Webelos have been allowed at our camporees, but only as a guest of a troop and with proper leadership.

We are a very large area-wise rural district. Usually if there is a shooting range, we're out in the middle of no-where and very few Webs will show-up. As I'm usually involved in other areas of the camporee, I can't answer as to whether or not the Webs get to shoot guns. I know that when an archery range is set-up Webs do participate. Ditto on the tomahawk range.

Alas, it's a pain in our council to make arrangements for a shooting range at a camporee 'cause someone at council office had the bright idea to "encourage" all five districts to hold their camporee on the same weekend every spring and fall. It's frustrating and makes it hard to help out other districts at their event. But that's a topic for another thread, I'm sure.