AEP ReCreation Area Camping

Has anyone camped in the ReCreation Area in Ohio near Zanesville? And if so do you have any advice. The Scouts want to go there next month and we don't know anything about it other then what is on their website.

Thanks

About a hundred years ago, my troop (from Xenia) used to camp in an area near Zanesville that was built upon an old strip-mined area. It was okay, albeit a little muddy in the spring. We'd take side trips to go see a giant steam shovel called something like Big Muskie. Lots of hiking in that area.

But that was about a hundred years ago (or maybe 35 or so).

Guy

Keep in mind it is not a scout camp. There is a lot of drinking, and heck raising goes on down there during the weekends. When hunting season is on there is way too many guys in the woods and I have had stray rounds zip past me on more than one occasion. Did I mention the idiots in rail buggys, jeeps, mud running pickups and atv's running the roads. Like all strip pits there isn't much in the way to look at, the soil is sandy and muddy as noted and not much. Don't forget everyone needs a permit to be on the property, most of the local carryouts have them.

With that said there is a lot of small ponds that offer great fishing. But you really need a belly boat to fish them.

I would not take a BSA outing there. To many other great places to go. Mohican, Shawnee state forest, wayne national forest, Hocking hills (terrible choice way over utilized), Tar Hollow, Scioto Trails state forest, Caesar Creek state park. Most if not all have established trail system and lakes. There are a number of Backpacking trails around ohio if that is what your into.

If I may ask, Why did they chose to camp there??????

Thanks for the great information.

I knew it was not a Scout Camp but thanks for the reminder.

Our Scouts really like Fort Stueben and Stigwandish because of the low light pollution and because they are off the beaten path. This place looked similar from what the website had to say. Oddly enough all the pictures show woodlands and water. There was some talk about being able to do some cross country orienteering because of the basic layout. I suppose the attraction was because it looked like it would be more primative and quieter. From what you said that is not the case.

We typically avoid State Parks because of the cost, the cramped camping spaces and random idiots that seem to congregate there. From the way it sounds there may be a high number of random idiots camping here. It also seems too dangerous as well.

I am really glad I asked the question.

Thanks again.

" Mohican, Shawnee state forest, wayne national forest, Hocking hills (terrible choice way over utilized), Tar Hollow, Scioto Trails state forest, Caesar Creek state park. "

We used to go to all of those places (early 70s), except for Caesar Creek (our backyard). We went to Zaleski, too. My favorite, though, was Shawnee State Forest. Very nice backpacking trail there. I always thought it rivaled the AT in terms of challenge.

Another thought -- our "greatest hit" was Carter Caves State Park in Kentucky. We went there every March and would have gone more often if there weren't so many other fun places to visit.

Guy