Tinnerman Canoe Base - A great experience

I got back from Tinnerman Canoe Base about a week ago.

It was a great trip. The crew had five Scouts (ages 13 to 17) and two Scouters (one 18 and me 45). The trip was really great. The guide was well trained and did his job very well. He kept us on course but did not control the trip. He pointed out options and let the Scouts make choices about what to do.

The food was as good as it gets when it comes to lightweight. Most of it was of the add to boiling water variety but not all of it. We had bacon for breakfast, apples for lunch and even a cake one evening for dessert. There was enough food but not too much and definitely not too little. The way I could tell is we were not hauling any extra when we got back to the base camp on the last day and the Scouts did not complain about being hungry.

We were on the French River and in the Georgian Bay in Ontario Canada for the week. There were some days that we saw no signs of other humans (no boats, cabins or anything). We did pass cabins on the river on other days but they were very few of those. One day we saw three yachts anchored together and figured we must be near civilization.

If you are not sure where to bring your Scouts for a High Adventure trip next year I recommend you look into going to Tinnerman Canoe Base. The Canoe Base is owned by the Cleveland Council. They have bus service set up from NE Ohio. Even if you are coming from far away, you could drive or fly to Ohio and take the bus from there. It makes the border crossing a lot easier.

If you have never taken your Scouts on a High Adventure trip I highly recommend you do. I cannot put into words how much the Scouts grew personally. I literally watch them mature and become better citizens. Every Scout and Scouter who went came away with memories that will last a lifetime.

If you have any questions let me know.

Here is a link to information about the base:

www.gccbsa.org/Pages/Tinnerman.html

ASM,

Our troop was there the first week (6/21-28). We had two crews that went, 11 boys and 5 adults. My two boys were both there, my younger son is 13-1/2 and my older one is almost 16. They got back on that Sunday and couldn't stop talking about what a great time they had. I was supposed to go but, unfortunately, had work issues to deal with and couldn't go. The good news was the adult that filled in for me had really wanted to go, but hadn't been able to sign up in time. Every boy that went had a great time and the leaders said it was great to see how the boys grew over that wek period, and I have personally seen some maturing in my younger son from when he went up there.

Unfortunately, there are rumblings around council here (actually told to our troop at RT) that Tinnerman is going to close after next year. The boys said that up at Tinnerman they didn't think that was true, so who knows. I know it will be a shame if it does close because it is a wonderful camp that has been around for decades.

I was just at Haliburton Scout Reserve in Ontario two weeks ago. Everyone who went had to get a passport or passport card and we didn't have any problems. In fact I think it was kind of a "novelty" for the boys to get a passport. Most people got the card and you can put it in your wallet just like a any other ID card. The process cannot be easier.

• 2 months later...

My name is Bill sweet, I've been the Director of Tinnerman Wilderness Canoe Base for the past 7 years. I'ts great to see all the positive comments from Scouters regarding their Tinnerman experience. I would like to go on record to state that Tinnerman is not closing. It has been a quality High Adventure canoe base for 47 years, and we are looking forward to seeing many of our Scouting friends on the French River for our 2010 season.

In keeping with the 100th anniversary of BSA, we are offering $100.00 off your crew fee if you sign up by December 31st, 2009.

It's always a great time to come to Tinnerman,so let's keep supporting this wonderful facility and keep it going for another 47 years.

For more info, call the Cleveland Coucil at 216-226-7513 or e-mail me at wmnsweet@gmail.com