Treating clothes for Northern Tier

We plan on using Sawyer Permethrin Clothing treatment on our clothes for our NT trip. An REI employee said the Sawyer rep told them that ironing the clothes after treatment greatly improves the treatment's effectiveness. Anyone ever hear about this? If nothing else, we make look a little less wrinkled when we hit the water.

BrentAllen,

Can't speak to improved effectiveness, but my permethrin treated uniforms (DCUs) pressed up nicely for my deployment two years ago.

It was my first time using the permethrin kits, and as I was making a big mess of it out in the yard, I thought the uniforms were ruined. The strong chemical smell, the dripping chemicals, wow!

But once they dried, laundry and starch...looked superb.

Definitely recommend using the kits in a place where there is lots of fresh air and room to let the clothes drip dry...the govt issue kits were very messy.

Best wishes on your trip,

DR77(This message has been edited by desertrat77)

Brent, I've been using the Permethrin treatment for years, since about '85. The stuff is GREAT!!! The best example of its effectiveness is that we sprayed clothes (long pants, underwear, socks, t-shirts) marked a trail thru chest high tall, river bottom grass in southern Missouri on a hot August day. When we got back to car our white painter pants, t-shirts and socks were red with dead chiggers. I spray the whole sock since the chiggers seem to migrate thru the wool combo socks. Not one tick bite, we also used DEET spray on exposed skin. I know folks who spray it on zipper openings on tents. Do spray outside and let dry, who cares if your trail clothes are wrinkled. One treatment seems to last for several washings or at least all summer season.

Just returned from Bissett. The bugs were unbelievable this season. Ate me right through my socks.

None of the local interpreters use any special bug repellant. They just don't scratch the bites and hit the tents at O'bug thirty. Our sister crew used 100% DEET to no avail.

We didn't use any treatments on the clothes and gave up on bug spray after the first day. I think if the bugs find you tasty, you are gonna get bit. One scout didn't get one bite. If you stood next to him, you didn't get bit either. He was very popular with us.

The bigger trick was tucking your pants legs into your jungle boots. Looks a bit military, but when you are crotch deep in moose muck (ala Heartbreak Portage), the leeches don't get ya.