misinformation!! 3 oar deal!

I was there and helped with the rescue. The boat was not running a rapid its a hazard that is not Ever run by anybody that has a clue. To say that I was misinformed is wrong the paper sugar coats it and gives false information. The purpose of my post is to stop these accidents not piss anybody off. The guide who perished has no Idea what a hydrolic is and WAS NOT A real guide. This was the 5th or 6th boy scout troop to get worked in this hole that should always be avoided.

Wayne:

Not sure that this needs to be a new thread but I am glad that you have weighed in again. My reading of the river information posted at the Bridger-Teton NF website is that if a rafter knows what they are doing and knows the river (as you clearly do) that this hazard is easily avoided by staying to river right. Is this the case?

One of the articles describes the victim as someone who has been doing whitewater rafting all his life. I wonder if this is a case of someone who could have gone safely past the hazard but did not do the required planning, scouting etc or is it a situation where, in the given conditions (high flow) where the entire section should have been avoided either by a portage or by saying that the conditions are too dangerous to go on the river today. Your thoughts?

As you may have noticed your e-mail touched off some serious discussion about safety standards for whitewater and that is a good thing. None of us want to put scouts at risk but too many of us do not know our own limitations and when to get help. BSA is trying to make improvements in those areas. Perhaps your influence will start the ball rolling toward improvements in the area of whitewater.

Many thanks for your posts, for your efforts in the attempted rescue and for what you do on the river.