Philmont travel suggestions

My Venturing Crew will be traveling to Philmont by plane from SC for a trek in June of 2010. This will be Philmont trek #2 for my son (I'm a newbie) who went last year - that crew drove, I cannot take that much time off. I would like to take a day or two after we get off the plane to acclimate and to not be so rushed from the plane to check in at Philmont....

Any suggestions on a travel service to help with flights and bus service, etc... especially from airport to Philmont?

Also any suggestions for any activities we might participate during that time? we have not set where we are flying into (Denver etc...)

Thanks!

I have used both Amtrak and an air/bus combination. South Carolina is a little far away to take a train. Philmont should be able to help you identify bus service connections from either Colorado Springs or Albuquerque (sp?).

Planning to take an extra 24 hours in the base camp is a very good idea, particularly to let your bodies become acclimated to the higher elevation.

I grew up in Colorado Springs. An extra day in advance of Philmont there would be great. Lots of stuff to do, including going to the top of Pikes Peak by car or train to help acclimate. CS is about the same elevation as Philmont base camp and about 3 hours north by car. Pikes Peak is 2000 ft higher than the highest point at Philmont too.

Albuquerque is cool too.

• 5 months later...

Our Troop did Philmont Trek #32 this past summer and had a blast. We flew into Denver from Charlotte, then rented a Suburban and a minivan to haul our gear and kids. Expensive, to have 2 vehicles for 3 days of acclimation, then to leave in the Philmont parking lot and drive back to Denver on our departure date. Worked for us, all other methods, including Blue Sky and other outfits were too expensive. We spent 2 nights at the US Air Force Academy campground, did Pikes Peak, Olympic Training Center, Garden of the Gods, then one night at Spanish Peaks Scout Ranch, then into Philmont. We carried Troop tents and cook gear, ate locally.

I've taken Scouts there, and the train works well. We arrive the day before we're scheduled to be in camp. We start at sea level, so yes the elevation presents problems for us the moment we get off the train, and base camp is higher, and the treks are higher still.

I've taken family there and we've done the train and we've flown to Denver (only because the flights there were cheaper). From Denver we rented cars and drove. This has worked well for us as well.

The one issue you need to understand, is that you can not show up to Philmont early. They don't have a place for you to be. There are two base camps, one for starting crews and one for finishing crews. Once the cycle starts, there is no room for extra folks. The towns are small, and lodging is interesting. If you actually were to plan on getting to Raton a day early that would help. There are a couple of hotels there, you guys will be fine.

Good luck and have fun.