Don't worry about it John-In-KC. It is unfortunate that newcomers to the forum must be subjected to the likes of this, but I suggest to anyone coming across this thread to do as I have done, skip over anything posted by Kudu. If you've read one of his posts, you've pretty much read them all.

Now back on the subject of this post, hiking chants do have their place. On long boring stretches of road and such. On the flip side though, maybe your patrol needs either to be shown the wonders of nature, or maybe the focus needs to be shifted from the destination to the trip. If your going to Philmont, your patrol will miss out on a lot of wonder if they focus on the destination and not the trip there. Sit down with them and try to find out why they don't like the hikes. Maybe they are longer than their physical stamina? Maybe they need some breaks in them? Maybe the pace is too fast? Too slow? Maybe they are going to areas that are so well traveled that they don't get to see much of nature, but more of a park? Maybe they are going out too often? Too little? Diagnose the issues and then work to ix them before it self-destructs.(This message has been edited by pack212scouter)

Going to Philmont and not liking hiking????????????

What in the world?????

So why would you subject yourself to it? And waste your or your parents money.

Just getting thru it isn't the attitude to have especially when your lucky enough to go.

Oh and sneaking along the trail with your face into the wind is a real good way to get into trouble.

Jodie says my Spirit sucks,

my Leadership don't "measure up."

Guess I'll never be like him:

Bad breath and a double chin!

Sound off

Sound off

Don't need no badges on my shirt,

we camp and hike until it hurts.

Jodie's Conference don't mean jack,

'cause my Patrol has got my back.

Sound off

Sound off

Kudu

I cannot believe this. "Grown", "Mature", "Adults" just trading insults. This forum is here for people who need some advice, or have a question, to get the answers they need. It is all right to express an opinion, but you should do so civilly. When you go on forever ranting about your ideas it just makes people think that you are a crazy fanatic, and when people think that they usually ignore you. So it does nothing to act like that because it just gets people angry. As for the rest of you, you should know better that to get into a war of words like that. What kind of example are you setting to the scouts that read this forum? Frankly I am appalled that a 16 year old has to say this.

Fair enough comment. People do things they later look back on and would rather like it to be unsaid. Age is no barrier. Maybe it would have been better to let the discussion die the death I think it had. pj - no need to give it new life, it had left Today's Active Topics list, and it will again if we all just wander on to more profitable discussions.

Hikeing god,

I don't know if you have ever been to Philmont before but hiking songs are the last thing you will need there, the beauty of nature will be the ultimate high and experience for any and all of your boys, believe me.

Kudu my friend why are you being so unscoutlike in your posts? Many of us agree with you about Mazzuca's recent statements about scoutings priorities, especially me who worked for the guy when he was an SE. When you try to make a point by derailing and insulting instead of informative and logical alternatives your argument looses all credibility.

Hiking chants/jodies for Philmont? No thanks!

At work, when I'm running in formation with the same folks, over the same roads, at the same pace, jodies break up the tedium.

They have their place. But I can't imagine calling jodies at Philmont.

First, it would disrupt the primary reason for going to Philmont: unspoiled wilderness and wild life. Tranquility. It would also disrupt other crews' once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Second, Philmont is physically tough. Even at 14 yrs of age those trails tested me. Spent stretches just trying to process oxygen and put one foot in front other. Chanting would have wasted valuable energy.

The best morale builder? Be in shape, physically and mentally. Be comfortable with your own thoughts.

Post script: And let us not forget our good friend Kudu!

I've got to admit, he cracks me up even if I disagree with him on certain points. He poked me in the eye a couple weeks ago over a minor point...but I had to chuckle at his eccentric performance.

Kudu: I understand your frustration about Woodbadge moving from outdoors to indoors. I feel the same way. But the other scouters have a point about posting comments in the proper category.

Yes, all the topics are related to one degree or another to the patrol method, but protocol is important.

Yes, I HAVE decided to embrace the Dark Side of Scouting. :)

Ironic, ain't it?

For years I have been fending off Wood Badge Logic by explaining that an ad hominem attack such as "Kudu has bad Scout Spirit" does not remove Leadership Development's cast iron skillet from the skull of Green Bar Bill.

However, I must now admit that my critics are right: It is far more entertaining to dismiss another person with a couple words like "Scout Spirit" or "bad breath," than it is to write pages of tightly-reasoned commentary.

Entertainment is king!

How could I have lost sight of that?

I have a few Scouting skills, but I can only do two things better than most people:

1) I can walk into an auditorium of skeptical (if not openly hostile) middle-schoolers, tell them about Old School Scouting, and then convince two-thirds of them they want to be "Boy Scouts," and

2) I can assemble an Old School Scouting Website (Inquiry.Net) and attract more than 26 million page views in eight years.

That is about all. :(

What I am really bad at is motivating Internet adults to do anything. I doubt if a single volunteer in the world has ever used my recruiting presentation or tried Baden-Powell's minimum standard of 300 feet between Patrols because of anything I have ever written.

Why is that?

Well my critics might say "It's because your personality sucks, Kudu!"

But I chalk it up to Adult Peer-Pressure.

As a recent thread indicated, adult volunteers could not care less about a definition of Scouting that attracts 66% of the sixth-graders who are not already in Boy Scouts (Old School adventure in Patrols). No, what our adults crave above all else is a definition of Scouting that convinces other adults that what they do is worthwhile. This boils down to opinions hyped as "character" and business manager skills hyped as "leadership".

The advantage of this Adult Peer-Pressure definition of Scouting is that every parent is already an expert on "character," and every office worker is already an expert on "leadership." That is why "modern" adults do not offer specialized training for Patrol Leaders, or even mention Patrol Leaders in the Patrol Method session of Scoutmaster-specific training.

There was a time when if the Chief Scout Executive announced that Scouting is all about "character and leadership" and therefore we should offer stuff that adults like better, such as computers, aerospace, and soccer; thousands if not tens-of-thousands of Scouts would have sat down and expressed their outrage on a piece of paper, then put that piece of paper in an envelop and mailed it to National Headquarters (this was called "writing a letter').

Likewise for what Wood Badge has done to the Patrol Method. When I was a kid, our National Jamboree Troop was camped across from where William "Green Bar Bill" Hillcourt was stationed. All week I watched thousands of Scouts stand in line to meet him.

I wonder if any Scouts have ever stood in line to meet the Wood Badge heroes who destroyed Green Bar Bill's life's work, villains like Ken Blanchard all the way back to the prime father vampire Bla H. Bnthy.

So my next project is to move from discussion group logic to some other entertainment medium. From my "retail" Old-School Scouting recruiting presentations to my "wholesale" Old-School Scouting Website, I know there are tens-of-thousands of boys who might never join "Boy Scouts" but would find the game of outdoor Patrols worth playing.

Part of my Patrol Method as entertainment project will be to "vilify" everything that killed Scouting in the United States: From Scout Spirit requirements to classroom Merit Badges and Position of Responsibility requirements (basically everything past First Class). I'm thinking maybe Kudu's Anti-Leadership Development Patrol Leader's Handbook. Something they can carry around with them if they decide to join a BSA Troop.

First on their list of Troops to avoid will be those who camp at a distance of less than 300 feet between the Troop's best Patrols, which I assume will include most of you!

desertrat77 writes:

Yes, all the topics are related to one degree or another to the patrol method, but protocol is important.

Well I am still the only person to offer any "hiking chants"!

But yeah, desertrat, if I had it to do all over again, I would post my cadence calls without any explanation. Maybe all my future Scouter.Com posts will be in that form :)

ozemu writes:

"People do things they later look back on and would rather like it to be unsaid."

I still like the first verse (the problem of Scout Spirit requirements). But I have adjusted the second verse (the solution):

Jodie says my Spirit sucks,

my leadership don't "measure up."

Guess I'll never be like him:

Bad breath and a double chin!

Sound off

Sound off

I like to hike until it hurts.

Don't need his badges on my shirt.

Jodie's Conference don't mean jack,

'cause my Patrol has got my back.

Sound off

Sound off

Kudu

Kudu, well said and I cheerfully concede that you were the only one to post "hikeing chants."

I've still got a few old scout songs tailored for hiking in my brain, but we only used them back in the day if we were bored silly and needed to knock out some dreary miles.

Philmont is many things, but boring was not one of them!

Like your idea about all future notes posted in "chant" format!

There is much value in the old methods of scouting, that is certainly true.