hay i am going to philmont in a couple days and i need some hikeing chants to keep moral up. preferbaly the short ones like

yellow bird with a yellow bill

sittin on my window sill

lured him in with crumbs of bread

then i smashed his little head

sound off

sound off

have you got anything like that please give it to me

hikeing god,

Have fun in Philmont.

With the permission of your parents, Scoutmaster and trek leader, I would recommend doing a google search for cadence calls.

There are quiet a few out there. Some are humorous, and some cross the line into vulgarity and violence. A few word edits to make them suitable for all ages, can change the lyrics to a more acceptable cadence or chant.

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

A bit of advice: don't do hiking chants.

When I went to Philmont, my crew saw quite a bit of wildlife on our hikes from campsite to campsite. Because we were fairly quite.

Another crew in our contingent complained to us that they never saw any wildlife. We discovered why when we happened to encounter them on the trail: they were doing hiking chants (mainly because the crew leadership were ROTC-types). Which scared away any wildlife they might see.

For myself, hiking chants do zilch for moral. They are more about keeping up your pace, which is really not needed when you are taking a nice hike thru the woods.

Jodies and hiking chants are for the garrison close ... in other words, where you don't desire/need/want wildlife.

Quiet is for patrolling and hiking ... the former to listen for (and maybe observe) the enemy, the latter to listen for (and hopefully observe) the animals of God's nature in all their glory and splendor.

Leave No Trace.

When you disturb the habitat, even by making noise, you disturb it not just for yourselves, but for the party an hour behind you on the trail.

You might want to think about this really carefully... after all, a Scout is Friendly, Courteous, and Kind.

I do love Jodies, et al, but also agree they might be appropo for tempo training in certain areas - public parks, city trails, military reservations/bases etc, if kept Scout worthy.

But don't think nature areas, wildlife preserves, or Philmont are the venues for them.

"hikeing god" writes:

hay i am going to philmont in a couple days and i need some hikeing chants to keep moral up...the other boys in my troop are not that into wildlife

I don't have any that express your values as perfectly as crushing the skulls of songbirds, but you can use the following chant to show how your view of wildlife fits into the "modern" Boy Scout tradition of killing what the previous generation worked so hard to build:

Green Bar Bill and Baden-Powell,

Wood Badge says they're out of style!

We destroy their whole life's work,

Dumb it down to business clerk!

Sound off

Sound off

Bulldoze down the Tooth of Time,

'Leave No Trace' is past its prime!

Modern Scouts play soccer now,

Business is our holy cow!

Sound off

Sound off

Before 1972 "Green Bar Bill" (see the "Site Dedication" at the lower left of your computer screen) wrote that the purpose of Patrol Leader Training was to get a Patrol out to hike or camp without adults and the rest of the Troop at least once or twice a month.

Likewise, Baden-Powell wrote that when the whole Troop does camp together, the Patrols should never be closer than 300 feet.

Your grandfather's generation killed Green Bar Bill's Patrol Leader Training as soon as he retired so that they could replace it with business manager training. Now your father's generation calls Green Bar Bill and Baden-Powell "old-fashioned" because camping really close together is a much better way to teach Scouts the "state of the art" business theory they learn in Wood Badge.

As far as enjoying nature goes, the new Chief Scout Executive Robert Mazzuca makes fun of it with his phrase "rubbing two sticks together." He says that the only thing that rubbing two sticks together is good for is getting a Scout to sit side by side with an adult of character:

Our goal is not to teach someone to rub two sticks together and make a fire. But when you rub two sticks together and make a fire side by side with an adult of good character, you're going to learn about who you are and go on to lead men.

But he says, it is more modern to move indoors to study aerospace and sit in front of a computer:

You can teach a kid about character and leadership using aerospace and computers. The secret is to get them side by side with adults of character...We recognize the evolving science of leadership. We've had CEOs on our board say they want to send their people to Wood Badge, our adult leader training program, because we use state-of-the-art techniques.

So forget about Patrol Leaders.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/companies/management/2008-07-20-boy-scouts-advice_N.htm

Likewise the new Chief Scout Executive says that camping is old-fashioned, we need to play soccer so that we can be modern and popular:

Camping is not necessarily a big thing with them, as a matter of fact in some cases it is not big at all. So we need to kind of think about, is it more important that we reach that child with the kind of things we have for children and we have for families in character development and leadership skill growth and all of those things? Or is it more important that we get them in a tent next week? And so I think the answer to that is fairly obvious to us.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619/#29491940

So by the time your generation takes over the BSA, Wood Badge will be laughing at the idea that you could teach "character and leadership" without playing soccer. "Leave No Trace" will be as old-fashioned then as Patrols camping 300 feet apart is now.

Kudu(This message has been edited by Kudu)

Of course Kudu...I agree wholeheartedly. Let's not help this young lad out by teaching him the value of an outdoor experience or how he might talk to his patrol to help get them interested. Instead let's fling insults at him and go into a diatribe about how Scouting is being destroyed. That's the REAL Scout spirit and leadership that your showing this youth. Way to go! I know that Baden Powell and Green Bar Bill would be proud!(This message has been edited by Pack212Scouter)

Pack212Scouter writes:

Let's not help this young lad out by teaching him the value of an outdoor experience

Are you saying that Chief Scout Executive Robert Mazzuca has been misquoted on the "value" of outdoor experience? He says "character and leadership" can be taught indoors sitting side by side with adults of character:

Camping is not necessarily a big thing with them, as a matter of fact in some cases it is not big at all.

Pack212Scouter writes:

That's the REAL Scout spirit and leadership that your showing this youth. Way to go! I know that Baden Powell and Green Bar Bill would be proud!

Scout Spirit is just code for Scoutmasters forcing their opinions on Scouts. If adults led by example they would not need Scout Spirit requirements. Likewise "leadership" is code for the destruction of Patrol Leader Training.

Your real concern for Baden-Powell and Green Bar Bill can be measured by how far your Patrols camp from each other.

How far apart is that, Pack212Scouter?

Have you met the minimum of 300 feet even once in your life, or is the example you set as fake as your moral outrage?

Kudu

Sound off

Sound off

Sound off

Sound off

My post was uncharacteristically rude, and I apologize to the forum.

As for your response Kudu, it says more about you than I ever could. I will not be reduced to trading insults with such as you. You no longer warrant any responses civil or otherwise. Good day and good Scouting.(This message has been edited by pack212scouter)

I see something of your problem hiking god. Welcome to the forum by the way.

If, in your Troop, the purpose of walking is to get from A to B fast then chants may well help. You say the other Scouts are not really into hikes. Maybe it is too much of an endurance race for them.

So possibly a comprimise? Walk fast by all means (if that is what they want to do) but also try sections that are not walked fast.

Stalking for wildlife is actually very hard to do. Stalking for other Scouts and then hiding from them as they walk past is lots of fun...if it is a two way track.

Wlaking solo can also be exciting if you are used to being in a big gaggle. And it can be quieter if the boys are shown that they may see and hear things they have not seen/heard before. Just send the boys down the track 1 or 2 minutes apart and tell them to meet up at the next feature (make sure someone sensible goes first to pull the oithers up). Walk for perhaps only 5 minutes like this the first time you do it.

Eat. Stop to eat and drink where there is a view or something interesting. An excuse for looking around..

Use the walk to practice map reading. In detail. To within a few yards is possible with practice. The whole Patrol can be a part of this. Some count paces, some look for features that you expect to walk past, some are looking at the map, some checking compasses and reporting what direction the path is taking.

Set them the task of learning about others in the Patrol. Match them up not in their usual pairs and have them report back to the Patrol on the other Scouts siblings, pets, places they've been on holiday etc. Talking tends to be quiet and means that everyone can be involved. Pretty useful to the Patrol if everyone knows each other well.

If you hike as a Troop that may be part of the issue. I'd recommend sed ing the Patrols down the track 15 minutes apart at least. Maybe the first Patrol has to magically reappear at the back somehow without the other Patrols seeing them. If you have a junior Patrol send them first maybe so they can hide first and then follow on looking for the others most of the way.

In fact my humble suggestion is that if you do anything as a Troop - stop it. Divide into Patrols and do different things or spread the Patrols out and do the same thing but apart. Patrol work means more Scouts involved doing more stuff and everyone has a useful part to play.

Maybe the chants would be useful to focus everyone into a fast cadence when covering really boring ground (down some roads for example), maybe to celebrate the last few yards before the summit of a steep hill etc.

Hiking god, what some are trying to say is that hikes are a metaphor for life. Enjoy the journey and be part of where you are rather than just focussing on getting to the end fast. At your (suspected) age I walked hard and fast. Teens are supposed to pit themselves against challenges. But there is more to it than that.

Hope that helps

Pack212Scouter writes:

As for your response Kudu, it says more about you than I ever could. I will not be reduced to trading insults with such as you. You no longer warrant any responses civil or otherwise.

Good, that means I get the last word.

Often it is the Cub Scout Usernames who use ad hominem logic to defend bad training.

Have you ever noticed that Cub Scout camp always has a theme? Sometimes the theme is based on popular children's movies. Sometimes the theme is a broad adventure motif like "space exploration." Usually all it boils down to the same old camp activities, but with a thematic spin designed to capture Cub Scout imaginations.

When Cub Scout leaders cross over to Boy Scouts they all bring this imaginary theme perspective to the Patrol Method (which, as the imaginary Baden-Powell quote advises us, is the ONLY method).

So instead of a imaginary "space flight" where each Cub Scout learns "leadership" and "character" by having his turn to command a "real space walk," we end up with imaginary Baden-Powell Scouting where each Boy Scout learns "leadership" and "character" by having his turn to command "real Patrol Camping."

In summer camp this boils down to the "Patrol Leader" waking up his imaginary Patrol so that they can march to the dinning hall where adults cook for them (Scouting is School, after all).

In monthly campouts "real Patrol camping" usually boils down to the Patrol Leader learning "leadership" and "character" by making a duty roster and supervising cooking and clean up.

When someone points out that an imaginary "real space walk" is not actually, um, a real space walk the first response is along the lines of, "Well of course it is a real space walk! Who are you to say that my Scouts are not learning 'leadership' and 'character'?"

Because "leadership and character" are the de facto new "Aims of Scouting," that should settle the matter. If it doesn't then every discussion will ultimately end up with the accusation that anybody who does not believe that imaginary "real space walks" do not teach "leadership" and "character" must themselves be lacking in the qualities of leadership and character.

If the only tool you have is a hammer, then every problem looks like a nail.

I doubt if the Troop that "hikeing god" is from practices the real Patrol Method, where Patrols are always separated by distance from the rest of the Troop. So what if his Patrol wants to imagine themselves on a gruelling military hike? I'm sure that nobody would have objected if he had asked for suggestions for pretending to be on a "real space walk" (In space nobody can hear you chant).

Of course without real Patrol Camping (which is measured in distance not values) then the untested leadership and character it teaches is fake. When adults are used to controlling Scouts with Scout Spirit requirements then their fake "values" always boil down to "A Scout is Obedient, or else!" It is easy to imagine yourself revealing deep meaningful truths about "values" like "Friendly, Courteous, and Kind" or "Leave No Trace" but hikeing god isn't buying. The only "value" that the imaginary Cub Scout Patrol Method theme teaches is Obedience to adult leaders, and it seems that his adult leaders don't object to chanting.

At least he is outdoors hiking, rather than indoors learning "character and leadership" by "sitting side by side with adults of character."

It all boils down to adult training, and most BSA training is based on imaginary themes. If Patrol Leader Training taught Patrol Leaders how to manage risk (if we still had Patrol Leader Training and if it still resembled BSA Lifeguard Training), we would not have to fend off fantasy theme "spoilers" with ad hominem logic.

Sound off

Sound off

Sound off

Sound off

Kudu

Kudu,

Thank you for hijacking this thread, and hijacking several other threads in recent weeks. Instead of rationally sharing your POV on training in the Adult Leader forum, you've resorted to the tactic of a pedant, and use a loud, long whine in more than a few threads where useful information or dialogue was occurring.

Like Mr 212, you have worn out your welcome with me. You fail to show friendliness and courtesy by voicing your agenda in places where frankly it does not belong.

IMO, I'd appreciate you more when you share what you've learned and cataloged, than when you act the pedant.

For now, as Anne Robinson used to say on TV: You, Sir, are the WEAKEST LINK. Good-bye.(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

Every "problem" in Scouting boils down to the fact that we no longer use the Patrol Method.

All "hijacking this thread" ever means is that the accuser does do not agree about the bigger picture.

This is hikeing god's thread, and he asked for hiking chants.

The ONLY ones who honored his request were Crew21_Adv (who suggested a Google search for cadence calls), and (as usual) Kudu who wrote him a nice custom chant to explain the history of Scouting to anyone he meets along the trail who, like you, tries to hijack his theme!

That is the thing about ad hominem attacks, John-in-KC, they are always a form of projection. It is YOU and your Wood Badge buddies who "hijacked this thread" by turning his simple request into a discussion about why your "values" are better than his.

Kudu

Sound off

Sound off

Sound off