Sailplanes - unauthorized activity?

I went to a new crew's open house last night and a question was asked about sailplanes.

I admiited I didn't know and didn't have the G2ss with me.

But the G2SS doesn't say anything about sailplanes.

From the G2SS:

Flying in hang gliders, ultralights, experimental class aircraft, and hot-air balloons (whether or not they are tethered); parachuting, and flying in aircraft as part of a search and rescue mission are unauthorized activities.

Are these considered the same as hang gliders?

I am not sure if they fall under the BSAs definition of "ultralight". The first thing to do would be have sailplane operator read over the "Flying Permit Application", http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/19-672.pdf , and see if they comply with its licensing, insurance, etc. If so, then fill out the form and send it into the council and see what they have to say.(This message has been edited by click23)

You need to check with your Council since as click23 stated you need to file a Flying Permit Application. Your Council decides whether or not Sailplane is an approved activity.

Officially (FAA), sailplanes are their own class. And looking at the intent of the text, Im not sure how it falls. I imagine the restrictions are based from risk. Sailplanes are not considered a risky aircraft to fly, but it has its limits not having an engine. Interesting.

Barry

Yah, there's no restriction on sailplanes.

Sailplanes are not in the same class of aircraft as hang gliders, ultralights, experimental, or hot-air balloons.

It can be a fine activity for older scouts or Venturers. For da scouts, try to combine it with Weather and Aviation MB's.

Beavah