My son's troop has found all too often that the places they go to camp either have no picnic tables or not enough for all the patrols, so ...

Does anyone have advice on buying/making collapsible tables for use by the patrols?

The plastic ones look nice, but we're worried Scouts will place hot pots/dutch ovens on them and trash them. Also not sure how a propane two-burner stove (typically set on the end of a picnic table) will be with the plastic.

I've searched for plans for making a table out of plywood and something like saw horses or the like, but all I find is the one-sheet plan for a slot-together picnic table.

Our patrols can use two tables, depending on where we are camping (for car camping):

The plastic top fold-in-half Lifetime Table, sold at Costco for $50

http://www.lifetime.com/library/pdf/6-Foot_FIH_Table.pdf

The Coleman Pack-Away Kitchen at the local Coleman Outlet for $72

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=2183-840&categoryid=10020

The plastic tables hold up pretty well and are easy to clean. I've used one for years with a propane stove with no negative results. That said, I have a friend that made a homemade cardboard/tinfoil charcoal oven. He set it directly on the table and it did melt a small hole in it.

We have gone with using a sheet (3'x4') of 1/2" plywood painted to protect from the weather and make for easy cleanup. This is supported by two plastic folding saw horses ($30 at Sears). This set up can hold all the weight and is quite sturdy. We cut a hand hold in the board for carrying. The saw horses, when open even provide a shelf below for storage.

Our patrols use the plywood tables as described above. You can see the plans here:

http://familyfun.go.com/Resources/picnictable.pdf

As mentioned above, this is a table for 4 scouts (6 is not crowded if you add a chair at each end). It is self supporting and easily broken down and transported. Each table is made from a single sheet of plywood. We use 13mm meranti or okume (marine grade plywood product), which equates to 1/2 inch. We reinforce the seats for a little added strength; this weights 2/3 that of one made from 3/4" ply.

Each patrol's tables (2 per patrol) is painted the patrol color. Each patrol has a color, which they use to mark many of some of their gear. So the Pedro's tables are green; stags are brown, etc. We used acrylic latex. It is pricy but rock hard and easy to apply and clean up, and it is food safe. These tables are set up under tarps, so there is little real exposure to the elements. We repair and repaint as needed (once ever 2-4 years).

We have a permanent building where we meet, and these tables are set up in each patrol area for most of the month. For campouts, they are easily disassembled and taken along. Ususally one per patrol is sufficent while camping.