I saw several people in Ely wearing Mukluks. Are they made locally in Northern Minn? My son is a Guide this summer and alternates between a paddler shoe and an above the ankle hiker in which he modified. To be honest his biggest struggle was rain gear. What he had brought up was unsuitable. He went in to Ely and picked up a full rain suite for paddling.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got back and again strongly recommend military style jungle boots. Saw several people on the trail with wet suit boots and even sandals - they were hurting.

A few years ago, some of my guys used Brazos Brand jungle boots from local discount sports store, Academy. They were terrible and started coming apart within days. By the end of the trip, almost all were held together with duct tape. Early this summer, I spoke to the department manager and he assured me their product had been improved to really withstand the constantly-wet, rugged conditions you would expect a jungle boot to withstand. 15 of our 17 trekkers used the Brazos boots and we had absolutely no problems on a 10-day trek. You can't beat them for just $20.

http://www.academy.com/index.php?page=content&target=products/footwear/mens/service&start=8&selectedSKU=0548-02157-6030(This message has been edited by Mike F)

Just got back myself. My genuine Altima's performed admirably and are ready for another trek. So did my boys. When we got to base, another off water crew was showing off their handiwork. An imitation Altima (made in China label) had lost its entire sole on the Heartbreak portage. They ended up using zip ties to keep the rubber on the road.

We did the same portage. Moose muck up to your crotch for about 700 meters. It took all your effort just to extract your boot. But not a lost sole. Or soul.