I am trying to figure out what kind of shoe(s) I am going to take to Northern Tier this summer. I believe I am going to take some keen hiking sandals and then...not sure what kind of boot. The boots on the link below look good to me, does anyone have any advice or feedback?

http://www.patagonia.com/web/us/product/product_focus.jsp?OPTION=PRODUCT_FOCUS_DISPLAY_HANDLER&catcode=MAIN_SP_US.CLOTHING_GEAR.MENS.SHOES.PERFORMANCE&style_color=79450-644&ws=

The best boots for Ntiers is an Altama jungle boot. Do an Ebay/Google search and you'll find lots of them. They range in quality from a cheapo consumer version (about $60) to the full milspec version $160. There are countless Vietnamese knockoffs at army surplus stores for around $30. We found that these barely made it through the week. The mud is really sticky and deep. You step in it, pull your boot out and the soles came off. But with a little duck tape, they will make it through. The higher end Altama boots will last several seasons of rugged use. I bought my milspec Altama's used off ebay for my first trip to Ntiers, they had made numerous trips before me, and I'm taking them again this summer.

I'd say get someting that breathes / dries rather fast and is not too expensive. I went to N'Tier as a scout and while some portages can be muddy, most were not (guess it depends on the time of year you go).

Most portages you will make are going to be 0.5 (min) to 1.5 miles (max), so you don't really have to worry about a heavy stability hiking boot as most of your miles will be logged sitting on your butt paddling a canoe, not hiking over land.

Get something that you take off once in camp for the evening and have a reasonable expectation that they will be dried out by the morning. Then an old pair of tennis shoes for around camp works pretty well. You want dry footwear in camp and to put on every morning, otherwise you risk getting foot rot by the end of a 7 to 10 day trip. Also, I tend to get more blisters walking in wet / damp socks and boots than dry footwear. First action when we hit the stopping point every day was to change into a clean / dry pair of socks and tennis shoes.

I made my 50-miler in a pair of canvas mid-ankle Timerlands with no discomfort. Probably paid $40-$50 bucks for them at the time (now would be about $75 price range). Like I said, you're not hiking a ton of miles, so you want comfort (quick dry).

Have Fun !! - I admit I'm jealous of anyone that gets to go the N'Tier (or any other high adventure spot) this summer. You'll never forget it, it was a highlight of my youth.

I have to agree with Gern, if you get teh jungle boots, DO NOT GET THE CHEAP IMITATION ONES! I also go the cheap ones. sole came off with in a week. Luckily the owner of the store is a great guy, refunded my money and very quickly got it back when I bought the milspec jungle boots. They were great and lasted several years

I'm not saying don't get the cheap jungle boots, but be prepared to field repair them and dispose of them at the end of the trek. Several in my crew did just that. Those of us with Altamas, lived to trek another few seasons in ours.

One of my friends, who used to be a guide at the Maine National High Advenure Area, used to wear LL Bean "canoe shoes" all summer long. They wear out, but for a week or two, they should be fine.

Like mentioned, I would highly recommend a quality boot with ankle support and toe protection. Some choose to save money by using a hiking boot. However, these do not drain and will likely be forever damaged.

Northern Tier used to primarily use Altama boots, but now uses Wellco jungle boots. The Wellco jungle boots are fine and of good quality costing about $20-30 less than Altama. The only down side is that with Altama boots you were sure you were getting a shoe with speed laces (not a big deal if you don't paddle a lot).

You should wear your boots (with PFD) when swimming as the rocks are sharp and there is plenty of glass, metal, and fish hooks in and out of the water. For camp shoes be sure to bring something with sole and toe protection (no sandals).

You can purchase the Wellco boots at an Okay price. Their price has increased so you might be able to find a slightly cheaper price elsewhere. It is more economical if you purchase the boots in one order as a crew.

Web site: http://www.northerntiertradingpost.org/

• 1 month later...

Just bought commercial version of Alatmas. Ankle support is ok, not great. Should I have gone with the Mil-spec? do not want to make repairs on the trip. i like the feel of the Wellco $65 boots. better ankle support.

thoughts? thanks

Again, I recommend these:

www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=2338&deptid=1169

Website Product Info (FWIW):

-Used by river professionals, rescue agencies and Navy SEALS, the NRS Workboot Wetshoe is the hardest-working river boot on the market today.

-Lace-up synthetic leather and 5-mm neoprene upper provides warmth, unmatched ankle support and a secure fit.

-7-mm neoprene insole absorbs the shock of every step.

-Heavy-duty lugged traction sole keeps you on your feet in varied terrain. It is a marking sole.

-Wear areas are reinforced with synthetic leather and rubber.

-When you need a water shoe that works as hard as you do, on and off the water, the NRS Workboot is your best choice.

Whole sizes only.

Women order one size smaller.

1/2 sizes order one size larger

(This message has been edited by Ohio_Scouter)

I've been lurking for a while, but just decided to join. I'm a fairly new WDL, so don't have much experience to add to most topics. I have been canoeing the BWCA for many years, though.

It is possible to keep your feet dry, even using the "wet foot" method (stepping in and out of the canoe in shallow water to avoid dragging it up onto landings). Chota makes several types of Mukluks which are waterproof to just below the knee, as well as offer excellent traction and support. They are pricier than generic jungle boots, but a good choice if you plan to keep canoeing. Google "Chota Mukluk" to find examples.

The majority 95% + of the interpreters (guides) at Northern Tier use jungle boots, as some one previously posted you can get them from the Norther Tier website, I think they are in the $35 range, not bad when most people going to philmont spend 3-5 times that on boots. you can also take some old backpacking boots and drill holes in the sides or live with sloppy feet the whole trip, it is really not that bad.

In response to the previous poster, you would be hard pressed to find an Interpreter who would let you pull loaded canoes up on to the portage. There are some portages where there is water deeper than calf deep as well. If you are going through Northern Tier, you would need knee high boots or more if you wanted dry feet on a portage.

Happy Trails

Mooseman, you misunderstood my post. It's not about dragging the canoe up onto shore; quite the opposite. Generally, we will paddle up to the landing, step into the shallows, one person takes the food pack, paddles, and any loose stuff while the other picks up the personal pack and then the canoe directly from the water. The canoe or gear are never set down on the ground at the landing. Portages where this is not possible are few and far between, and when it is too deep, it is usually possible to position the canoe sideways and unload while it is still floating. I recognize that a group of scouts on their first wilderness canoe trip may not be able to do it that efficiently, but the OP asked for a boot recommendation, which I gave. If you are going in the early season, you may only be a few weeks past ice-out and the water can still be pretty cold, and jungle boots would not provide much warmth.