Action Packer, Rubbermaid, ?

I'm looking for something to hold gear outside the tent. My 2 Cub Scout sons and I usually use a 7X7 tent, which will just fit the three of us, but not really room for anything else. I want a place to keep things dry if it rains and protection from dew overnight. Is a simple rubbermaid container adequate?

Some of our younger boys use tubs on "car camps". They work well for that purpose. Just a few considerations.

Don't buy too big and then load it up. Remember, you will have to carry it from your vehicle to your tentsite. Buy just big enough to carry what you NEED. Make sure it has handles that lock (clamp) onto the tub itself. Wind tends to make others sail away. This will also help deter raccoons from stealing the candy which Cubs will certainly sneak into the tub! Make sure your tub has a lip which overlaps the tub so that rain can not get inside.

Finally, consider melting a hole in the tub and lid just big enough for a length of para cord to hold them together in the wind. Just make sure holes will not allow leaks! And make sure your name and unit number are on your tub to distinguish it from others.

AnaMaria,

Action Packers work fine. Some thoughts beyond what Narraticong said:

I would get smaller plastic containers or zip-type plstic bags for clothes. This allows removal from box in rain and opening in tent for dry clothes. Ditto any dried foodstuffs.

I am assuming Car-type camping as no one want to haul packers any distance so consider smaller packers for the boys or for yourself. this gives you the ability to keep them out of at least one (keeps it dry and organized). :-)

Enjoy the time with your boys. As they get bigget, time to consider bigger/additional tentage.

Enjoy your outings.

YiS,

Rick

I use a small plastic bin that fits exactly inside of the old BSA Yucca pack. It holds all the equipment necessary for a camp kitchen. All the items that aren't water sensitive fits into the small spaces around the bin, ziplock holds papers in the flap pocket for roster, menu, etc. When I backpack/portage/etc., I strap my pack on the back and kitchen on the front. When it rains the Yucca pack gets soaked, but the contents stay dry. It hangs on a tree limb to keep out of the dirt. I never worry about water unless it's in a canoe that rolls and pressure compromises the plastic bin. It does not seal as tightly as say Tupperwear, but for the most part it hasn't been a problem. If each patrol member had one of these extra "camp packs" it would go along way for keeping hands free and still have extra storage in damp environments.

Stosh

I second ghermanno on Action Packer..

Locking handles helps lid stay put in wind or back of truck.. also helps keep critters out, especially if you put a clip or wire through the wholes in the handles..

I have two that I use regularly for family camping.. one for canned and boxed food and one for kitchen equipment, dishes etc.. equipment one stays packed.. One I have had over 15 years and it has stood up to many trips.. and several assaults by racoons..

Glad to hear others have dragged the "old BSA Yucca" pack on outings.

I brought one I picked up for less than $5 (turned out to be from the eraly 50's) with the aluminum pack frame all last year. Another ASM found one from the 70's in good shape he uses for his "fire stuff bag".

Other than some hasty stichin' in Leather-crafts last year, those things hold up to rain and camp wear and tear pretty good.!

I love my Yucca! It reminds me of me- older than dirt, lots of wear and tear, rumpled, but still puts in a full days work and will outlast a lot of newer gear!

I use my old canvas bag every week to tote my miscellaneous Scoutmaster gear to meetings, outings etc. I believe mine was an antique shop $5.00 purchase.(This message has been edited by narraticong)

I have 4 Yucca packs that I use regularly. I have one for my normal weekend packing and a second for the kitchen, a third gets tossed in my vehicle with "just in case" things that I would only need if really necessary, i.e. blanket, extra shoes, heavy duty rain gear, etc. Then I have my BSA rucksack and a old stove pack that I use for my first aid emergency stuff Add to that my 2 qt canteen for backup and a 1 qt canteen for regular use and my messkit with metal drinking cup, and I'm all set. I haven't really found much use for my large pack unless it's a backpacking trip. I can still carry double Yucca, one on front, one on back, and still carry my canoe on a portage. The Yucca is the best pack every created by BSA.

Stosh

I'm going to suggest something completely different. How often do you camp together? Your answer to that will be your guide.

If you and your two Cubs barely fit in a 7x7 tent, upgrade to a larger tent - a 10x10 will be more than enough room for you to grow into, and hold your gear for a long time to come. Coleman makes some fine 10x10's that aren't too expensive - and you're going to need a new one fairly soon anyway if you already have a tight fit in the 7x7.