two man backpacking tents

Our patrols are looking to buy two man backpacking tents.

They are looking at the Eureka Spitfire 2 or Zeus.

Anyone have experience with these tents?

Do you have any other suggestions on two man backpacking tents.

Thanks

I have the Eureka Spitfire 2 tent and it is a very nice tent with quality and features beyond its low price.

The two people inside the Spitfire 2 will need to be very close friends, as they will most likely be 'touching' each other while sleeping.

I also have Alps Mountaineering Meramac and Taurus tents (not backpacking tents) and I find their quality to be completely the equal of Eureka tents (that is a good thing).

My choice might be to go with the Alps Mountaineering Zephyr AL 3-person tent, and then distribute tent components between the two occupants for each to have roughly equivalent weights.

I have used my Eureka Timberlite 2 (not Timberline) for about 10 years now and have never had an issue with it.

It is light, easy to set up, and packs up pretty small.

I go not see it on the Eureka page anymore, so they must of stopped making it. It looks quite similar to the spitfire 2.

Most of these tents that are sold as two man tents, are a tight two for full grown adults. They will work well for youth.

I like the dual doors of the Spitfire over the single of the Zeus more, for practicality reasons. The designs that we find works best are the tents with side doors and the fly vestibule space on both sides.

I recently purchased the Alps Mountaineering Extreme 3 via Scout Direct. Didn't buy the Outfitter version. But if you ask, you will find they have a heavy duty floor saver, it's not listed on the price sheet.

Plenty of room for two Scouts plus gear inside, not to mention the huge vestibules.

A little bit heavy for Philmont, not too much for a weekend excursion, but the Scout son took one look and said he'd be happy to carry the extra weight in exchange for the space even at Philmont.

Had it out at a recent deluge, and it was the ONLY dry tent in our camp, without regard to the near stream running under it. We decide to go ahead and pack up due to the amount of rain that got in the rest of our Eureka Timberline OF4's.

I'm seriously considering one of their lightweight backpackers also, either the Mystique or Zepher 2 man tents.

If you buy, an Alps Mountaineering product, definitely go thru Scout Direct!!!

I've got the Zephyr 2-man from Alps. It is just a tad small for two people. Another 6 inches wide would be great! My only other complaint is that the vestibules aren't quite big enough either. My pack (an Alps pack) doesn't quite fit in it along with my boots. Really great tent though and can't beat the price!

We just bought a few Alps Taurus 4 tents. They make a 2 man as well. Only used 'em once so far but are pretty happy. A whopper of a storm rolled in quickly and we did not have the storm lines up on the tents. Sustained 70+ mph winds had the tents laying flat under the wind. We broke one pole and sustained no other damage.

Although since htey were brand new, I probablly could have pressed for warranty, I didn't ask when I ordered the new pole. The cool thing is that they sell individual pole sections and they are pretty reasonable at $2.50 per section.

We have several boys and an adult who use the Alps Zephyr 2 man as individual tents. Seems to work better and then there is rooms inside for the gear. Beautiful tents.

I use the Mystique 1.5. I'm a big guy and it is a tight fit for me. Gear stays outside or under vestibule. But it is very light. Would not want to have to spend all day inside in a rainstorm.

Alps Taurus tents are the workhorse of the line. Not ultralight by todays standard, but still about a third of the weight of canvas tents we backpacked with back in the stoneage!

Ken