What is and isn't BSA Policy

The book of rules and regulations is in the hands of your Council SE. He has it, he is required to have it. The problem is some don't like to share it. Ask them most will let you read it if you want, but won't let you make a copy of the whole thing.

Bob White

So what you are saying is that the Scoutmaster Handbook is (gasp) incomplete.

The Scoutmaster Handbook I have has a Revised 2000 date.

And it states

A boy is not required to have a uniform in order to be a Boy Scout.

However, troop leaders should set a good example...

But in a blue box it states that a neckerchief or hat is a troop option, which means to me that the other parts of the uniform are not optional.

This is why there is (IMHO) so much confusion on what is policy and not.

But thank you for trying to clarify this issue.

I look forward to getting (trying) the Rules and Reg. Book

YIS

Dan

Dan,

I believe that the text in the SM handbook is refering to the fact that many troops supply special "troop" neckerchiefs and hats, but not all do, and therefore, as those items are allowed to be different from troop to troop, they're not considered as part of the official "full" uniform. That leaves the door open for troops (like mine) to not consider them part of the "full" uniform. I might be wrong here, but I think the hat, the neckerchief, and perhaps the t-shirt are the only items that are viewed as parts "a" uniform that can vary from troop to troop, allowing for special designs, colors, et cetera.

Crux of the issue is that BSA National does not, repeat not, require a Scout to possess or wear a uniform, period dot. But if he does possess or wear one, here's the standard. We can beat up on troop, district, and council level Scouters and Professionals all we want for not enforcing the uniform standards. However, since the uniform's not a requirement in the first place, aren't we trying to treat a symptom instead of a cause?

If BSA National made a complete uniform a joining requirement, any "enforcement" efforts would have teeth. Now, they only have "gums". We've been setting an example, recommending, suggesting, mentoring, running uniform exchanges, looking the other way at camo pants, etc., for years. Don't know who said it first, but here goes: "If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got".