What is and isn't BSA Policy

This string is an offshoot from a unoform discussion in another string on this forum.

There seems to be a great misunderstanding as to what is BSA policy, what are recommendations and what are procedures. There also seems to be a question as to where this information is found.

All BSA Policies are available in the publication 'Rules and Regulations of the Boy Scouts of America'. The policies within this book cover three topics primarily. Uniforming, Advancement, and Safety. Most of policicies,procedures, and program applications addressed in this publication are found in 'The Insignia Guide', the 'Advancement Committee Policies and Procedures' manual, and the 'Guide to Safe Scouting'. As explained in the first two mentioned, Insignia Guide and Advancement Committee Policies and Procedures, everything written in these books are unalterable except by the National Executive Board. No unit regardless of their intentions may add to, subtract from, or disgregard any this rules.

The Safety Policies and Recommendations are found in the 'Guide to Safe Scouting'. Information typed in bold print are policies and MUST be adhered to. Information in regular type are reccommendations based on expert advise and experience.

The program and assorted procedures are found in the various youth and adult handbooks and training manuals. Some of which offers the units room for customization BUT NOT when it comes to Safety, Uniforming or Advancement, unless such action is specifically stated (such as optional neckwear).

I urge anyone involved in this program to go to training and take their roles and responsibilities in this program seriously.

We signed an agreement to follow the policies and programs of the BSA. Let's keep our word.

B. White

You have mentioned many books, I have been using the Scoutmaster Handbook, for information. Is this book incorrect? Is the information different in this book than other BSA books?

Yes, I will be picking up the rules and regulations book, to review.

The Scoutmaster handbook I have states that a uniform is not required, so troops that require scouts to wear the uniform are not following BSA rules, right?

An excellent question. Certainly as Scoutmaster you need the Scoutmaster handbook, however don't expect any single publication to be able to cover all the information in a program the size and scope of scouting.

The SM handbook is a reference guide to troop leader administration. It refers to other resources for more specific info. Your training team and your local commissioner can direct you to official BSA materials. Scouting Bulletin Boards can be a good tool providing that the reference you to actual scoutin materials and don't just pass along their version of what they think scouting is or should be. Remember this is the BSA's program, we get the fun of delivering it to youth not changing it to fit our ideas.

I'm not sure that we are reading from the same Scoutmaster Handbook. i will admit that mine is 3 years old and I do not have my training kit in fron of me to see if that has a more recent version.

I see 5 mentions of the scout uniform. The first mention as one of the primary methods of the scouting program and 4 mentions as Uniform Inspections during Troop Meetings.

Since 1910 The scout uniform has been an important part of the program. There are program goals and Aims that would be difficult if not impossible to accomplish without thr uniform. The Advancement guidelines say that a Scout should present himself at Boards of Review "neat in appeaarance and in as correct a scout uniform as possible".

That does not mean that we can refuse a Board of Review if he is not in uniform. Such a rule within a troop would be a violation of BSA policy and the scoout would have the right to an appeal before the council advancement committee. I will tell you from first hand experience on two appeal boards that I was asked to sit on by the national office that rarely will we find against the scout. Once a unit strays from BSA policy they will be found in error. the program is here for the boy not the adult and we will give the boy an impartial review.

If you know a boy has a uniform and he doesn't wear it, hold the Board and discuss with the boy whether he is showing maturity and spirit by not coming prepared for his Board. Can you refuse the rank if he is doing the best to meet the ideals of the program. (read the Advancement guideleines on the steps to take when you postpone advancement.

What if he only has a shirt and bely? Did he wear them as correctly as he could? Does that meet the rule? Sure!

Does that meen we change our expectation or our definition of what a uniform is? No! The Uniform is from Shoulder to Shoes and is defined ONLY by the BSA. No unit has the authority to change the reuired uniform pieces. Official shirt, offical pants, official belt, official socks.

Nobody goes to a baseball game wearing shoulder pads and a football helmet. Let's stop making unit rules that allow youth and adults to go out in public in half a uniform looking like they got dressed in the dark.

I'd be happy to post a list of official manuals that every troop should have or know of in order to present a quality program. Let me know if i can be of help.

Happy Scouting!

Bob,

I am a little confused. On the one hand you talk about a troop NOT being able to require a uniform for a board of review. And then you proceed to state that we need to encourage full uniforms whenever our scouts are in public.

Other than by example, how do you get the boys in full uniform?

* Set the example by wearing full and correct uniformimg among all registered adults.

* Clear and consistent definition of the correct uniform

* Positive reinforcement for individuals in proper uniform

* Let the parents know from the moment of joining what the uniform expectations are and WHY we wear uniforms

* Money earning projects that help a scout make uniform and equipment purchases

* Address uniforming at Boards of review

* Work with Cub Packs to encourage Full and Correct uniforming before the boy reaches Boy Scouting

* implement Uniform exchange within the unit to help curb costs

* Have a parent who enjoys garage sales to keep an eye out for uniform pieces (don't forget to check the Goodwill shops)

* Use uniform pieces as prizes and incentives

* Post scout posters displaying scouts in full uniform

* encourage attendance to High Adventure activities such as Philmont and National Jamborees, where Full uniforms are abundant

* Train all your adults so that they understand the methods and goals of the program

* get junior leaders to Junior Leader Training where they live and learn the importance of "setting the example"

* Do not compromise the program by setting lower uniforming standards

* Have Monthly uniform inspections where The Junior Leaders inspect the Patrol Leaders and the Patrol Leaders inspect their patrols. allow only positive statements directed at proper uniforming, use the uniform score sheet available at your Scout Service Center and create a reward program for Patrols with the highest score. (positive peer pressure)

* make sure scouts see that a full and correct uniform is a reflection of good scouting characteristics. (prepared, loyal, obedient, clean)

Often times BSA policies and procedures are confusing, and for the new unit leader it is very easy to stray outside of the bounds of these guidelines. Using resources at the District (Commissioner sevices) and Council (Trainers) level is often the best way to avoid this problem. But, in all fairness, and not to just point the finger at new unit leaders, I've seen Districts hosting camporees who's key leaders either didn't know the rules, or elected to ignore the rules when it came to their program (running high C.O.P.E. activities without a C.O.P.E. director being the worse).

But for any unit leader who is not sure of a policy or a procedure, my best advice is to use your Unit Commissioner..

Bob White,

I did a quick internet search for 'Rules and Regulations of the Boy Scouts of America'. All I got was a cub scout packs home page. Is there a URL for that document. I'm very interested in reading through it. We are about to make some adjustments in our troop policies and I want to make sure we are in line with any established policy.

Thanks

It's great that you want to crosscheck. The manual you want is available through your Council Service Center. Remember that You cannot add or subtract from Advancement Policies, change uniforming unless the policy states an option, or set Safety rules that are less stringent than those stated in guide to Safe scouting.

Bob,

Saw your offer above concerning essential publications list. I've been the SM here for 2 years, had SALT, and I try hard. I would love to see a list of pubs (maybe divided into Must, Soon and Eventually, due to costs involved). Seperate thread, maybe? I have been amazed and humbled by the scope and depth of experience on this forum, and would find advice on publications invaluable. To steal a phrase, there are so many books, and so little time.

Be glad to bigbeard. It may take me a day or two, and I'll start a new string on the general discussion board.

I'm sure there will be other resources that fellow scouters have found helpful that they will want to add as well.

That would be a great thread Bob White, thanks. In our council a lot of info gets pasts around at round tables etc. and it's not always reliable. I guess part of my concern is my military background coming through. We put just about everything in writing so we can pull it out if someone has a question about why we are doing something the way we are. I personally like being able to point to something in writing and up till now that sort of documentation has eluded me. When you write up the list, if a specific resourse is available on-line, please include the URL.

Thanks again.

Ask Your Council to Contact the National Office.

Actually everything (99%) of what you need to know in the way of policies can be found in 4 sources. Scouting primarily controls 3 areas with policies (regulations that are unalterable by units).

1.Uniforming, "the Insignia Control Guide" and "The Money Earning Application"

2. Advancement, "the Advancement Committee Policies and Procedures"

3. Safety, "Guide to Safe Scouting"

There are procedures for all sorts of things, mostly paperwork, but the policies are primarily listed in these three relatively small, extremely inexpensive manuals.