Adults staying up nearly all night

Well that confirms it. You're just odd, Ed. ;)

But I am also willing to bet you don't force your particular sleep habits on other people by keeping them up to all hours of the night.

This summer our troop will attend a camp that is about a 600 mile drive from home. We're having a hard time figuring out the transportation (not enough seats for the ride back). A parent who has to work that week is bummed he can't go to camp with the troop, so he suggested he'd make the 10+hour drive up to camp on Friday after work, check the place out Saturday morning, and then drive back with the troop on Saturday & Sunday. A couple of hours sleep in there at best.

I could not help it. I looked at him and said "no way would I let any kid into your car under those conditions." He was a little taken aback, I think. Nice guy, very dependable, generally good judgment, just hadn't thought it through.

I'm with Brent on this. When we leaders take responsibility for other people's kids, we need to make sure we're not compromising our ability - or other leaders' abilities - to make sound judgments about safety.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the guy is a jerk there is little you can do about it.

I am a huge fan of earlplugs and the 6am wakeup call to keep people from staying up late.

I wear earplugs and put one of those wrap around head bands you use to keep your ears warm in winter to keep them in place. If they need to wake me up they'll just have to shake the tent.

I have a whole troop of boys with only one over the age of 13. And yes, I am confident that they would at least attempt to take care of one of their own before waking an adult. They do care for, and about each other. They are capable of much more than we give them credit for. And they surely blossom when we give them a chance!

I side with those who say "A Scout is Courteous". It's also hard to fly with Eagles in the morning when you run with the dogs at night. While sitting around the campfire until 3am might not be classified as "running with the dogs", it's still leaving a very short window of sleeping time for the adults.

Adults staying up an extra hour or so beyond the boys' bedtime can be an enjoyable, relaxing time of the day. However, yukking it up around the campfire until 3am or so not only lacks courtesy for others, it isn't taking into account the activities coming up the next day and the need for a good night's sleep.