gwd-scouter wrote "Stories are shared, a couple of pineapples are roasted on the fire, and fun is had by all."

I have never heard of roasting pineapple. How is this done? Am I the only one? Do most troops do this? Or do you have something else as your fall back goodie that everyone loves?

Our troop tends to fall back on brownies in the Dutch oven. Again and again and again.

Place a whole pineapple on a very hot bed of embers, charcoal or wood. Every five minutes or so, rotate the pineapple a bit (use the leaves on top as a handle). Once the pineapple is black on the outside all the way around and you can see juices starting to ooze out, it's done. Usually about 30 minutes depending on the heat.

Slice away and eat. Hot, juicy, sweet, yummy!

Just got back from work travel, and one night for dinner our group went out to one of those Brazilian roasted meat restaurants - the kind they slice the meat off the skewer right on to your plate... Anyway, one of the things they had on a skewer was a whole pineapple without the peel, roasted just like the meat. It was really good!! It made me think I'd like to roast pieces of pineapple over coals like marshmallows. But I like gwd-scouters method of just tossing the entire fruit in -- sounds so good I think I'll try it on our next camping trip!

In related news, on our last camping trip, the Senior Scouts made an excellent cobbler with pineapple cake mix, canned pineapples, and coconut soda. It was amazing!

For added fun - every year at summer camp we host another troop in our campsite one evening for a campfire. Last year, along with the tradition of roasting pineapples, we all wore Hawaiian shirts and greeted our guests with flower leis.

After reading this on Friday, I bought a pineapple to try this at our campout this weekend.

Unfortunately, I was unable to try it, as I was taking a scout to the hospital for stitches while the troop roasted and ate the pineapple. But everyone said it was very good.

I received a PM asking what it was that required a stitch. As a courtesy, I thought I would reply to the group.

It was a knife wound, and, not to belittle the situation, but it was almost comical. It involved a new scout, who has a avery active and enthusiastic personality, and I have known since he joined as a Tiger. Several of the scouts had brought multiple knives on the campout (on the order of 2 and 3 each); one scout had brought his new sharpener (like this one-- http://www.rei.com/product/708614), and all the scouts were sharpening their knives over and over and over (as good scouts should).

Anyway, this one scout was holding the sharpener just so, and his hand slipped, nearly slicing off the knuckle of his left pinky. Lots of blood, as is expected for this kind of wound, but he was real good about it. At the hospital triage, they expected it to take a stitch or two, but the doc decided to glue it, as it was already starting to heal, and he saw no need to aggrivate the wound with a stitch.

Back in camp, the SPL ran the campfire (which we missed entirely), but a good time was had by all. This scout is a good kid, when we packed up camp and loaded the trailer, he was the first to jump in and carry the heavy loads and pulled more than his share, wound and all.

We should give him a special award at the next CoH, like the "sharpest knife award" or some such.(This message has been edited by Buffalo Skipper)

Roasted pineapple is absolutely fantastic. Sometimes when I'm grilling at home I will quarter a pineapple lengthwise, so the leaves can be used as a handle, and marinate in honey for a few hours prior to throwing them on the grill.

The whole pineapple though is much more conducive to camping.

How many servings do you get out of a pineapple? Or how many pineapples do we need for 10 people --- 15 people?

Think I will be sure and get a couple for troop to try during summer camp. Our camp has a theme for each day and one is Tropical Tuesday. What a perfect addition to theme. I had already decided to pick up leis from dollar store for troop.

We get about 8 servings out of one pineapple: Slice the pineapple into somewhat equal rings - each person gets a ring of fruit (cut in half to make it easier to eat). Of course, some guys like it better than others and sometimes we only get 4 servings.