"Kyoto Box is a cheap, solar-powered cardboard cooker for use in rural Africa, estimated to prevent two tonnes of carbon dioxide emissions per family per year.

The $5 cooker uses the greenhouse effect to boil and bake. It consists of two cardboard boxes, one inside the other, with an acrylic cover that lets the suns power in and stops it escaping and doubles as a hob top. A layer of straw or newspaper between the boxes provides insulation, while black paint on the interior and the foil on the exterior concentrate the heat still further."

I was just reading about this myself and was going to post on it. I was thinking that this would be a great item to include in our gear. Baking always seems to be the hardest part of camp cooking. Yes, I have use Dutch ovens regularly and box ovens, but the idea of not needing to light up charcoal seems too good. My only thoughts are how long does this thing need to gt up to temp?

Now i just need to get a piece of the acrylic.

If you are in Africa....little rain, lots of sun = lots of heat.

I have done solar ovens with pizza boxes, black construction paper, and a saran wrap window. Maybe in July or August in Ohio.(This message has been edited by dg98adams)

I'm sorry, I think solar ovens are cool but they're hardly new -- and they won a prize over truly innovative stuff? Sounds like the anthropogenic-global-warming hysteria is at work again -- just mention "greenhouse" and "Kyoto" and win a prize!