Did I read this correctly? This particular father drives scouts to the campouts then goes into town and stays at a motel instead of camping? Now he's concerned about severe weather?

I have a question for him, or perhaps for you, to pointedly ask him. If severe weather comes through that requires an immediate evacuation of the campground with no time to take down tents or gather gear, and requiring loading the lads up in the cars and driving them into town or a safe zone, how safe is it to pile the lads he drove to the camp ground into now overloaded cars while he's potentially 5 miles or more away?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you use the old BSA adage... "We are to run the program to national standards."

The BSA standard for severe weather preparedness is:

1) Adult vols have the online training

2) We have an action plan

3) The scouts are informed of the action plan

4) Once during council outings - the plan is practiced

If BSA doesn't say to do one (or multiple drills) at a unit level campout, then the old "we cannot add or detract from the requirements" should suffice.

If not - then politely ask this Dad if your unit and scouting in general are the right fit for his son.

Only he can answer that one. He can hold his son out of any activity he wants. However, he should NOT be allowed to dictate policy to the entire unit.

If all else fails - ask him to sign up as an adult leader. HE can do the online training, then tell him he has 15 minutes MAX to do a briefing on the next campout regarding severe weather.

$10 says he'll back off the second you recommend he do anything other than complain about how others are running the program.

The longer I'm a leader (in the military, in business, in scouts) - the more I live by the adage that I'm willing to listen to constructive criticism so long as the "complainer" is willing to present and help act on a resonable solution. If they just want to stand on the sidelines and moan about how things are being done, well I have very little use for them. Some people just like to piss in other folks' Kool-aid.(This message has been edited by DeanRx)

As the mother of one of the scouts from Little Sioux, we are still a bit paranoid about weather here but my son still goes camping with the troop. He just keeps an eye on the sky at all times. Not real fond of high winds either. Go figure.

Beavah, just out of curiosity, how did they classify the boys from Little Sioux that died? What type of building was the shelter listed as, I mean.

sheldonsmom, tell the boys in your area that the scouts around here are very proud of the boys that endured that disaster and how they handled it. They are all shining examples of what scouting is about. We still pray for the families that experenced losses. Peace be with you.

(back to the regular thread, sorry for the interruption)

I think part of the problem is that people watch the news on TV, which has devolved from a two minute newscast to the weather/Storm Team/Storm Tracker/Disaster Central which involves three entire segments in a 22 minute newscast. I live near Detroit where it's not unusual to broadcast weather before the real news that the US Government has been involved in a hostile takeover of the Automotive industry. People are conditioned to be afraid of a little rain and some thunder.

A few years ago at summer camp, an absolutely wicked storm came rolling in. One of our first year scouts, whom I've known since he was born was deathly afraid of thunder. I mean run to the basement and curl up in the corner type of afraid. He toughed it out in the tent. After he was home, a storm came rolling in and he barely blinked.

PS to Sheldonsmom. Add me to the list of scouters who are deeply proud of your son and the others who showed the best of scouting values when their world is turned upside down in an instant.

raisinemright,

You've never seen weather reporting unless you've lived in tornado alley. Some days the reporting resembles 9/11 reporting with all shows preempted on all local stations.

I know this isn't the politics and issues forum, but the auto industry has not suffered a hostile takeover. As I recall, they were in danger of going out of business and came to the government with hat in hand looking for billions of dollars. When I go to the bank for a loan, it always comes with conditions and terms that I don't always like.......but if I want the money, have to accept. They could have done the right thing and filed chapter 11 and reorganized.

Can you be "Too prepared"? If this Scout's father wants to donate a lightning detector to the troop, more power to him. Better yet, make him happy and have fun with the Scouts by making a lightning detector, plans found here - http://www.techlib.com/electronics/lightning.html - sometimes I wouldn't mind having a little more advanced notice.

Having a 2 minute talk at each campout on where to meet for emergencies, where to take cover for tornadoes and whatnot is prudent.

Eagle1982,

What a great website! I know nothing about electronics, other than how to catch the classroom on fire with a lantern battery and steel wool, and just looking at what was sent in by readers made me want to make one.

SR540 Beaver,

Sorry, I forgot to hit the SARCASM button.

But, how in the world does a guy who's never run a business where they have to worry about pesky little things like profit and loss think he can possibly run something as complex as a car company.

Thread hijack over.

Beavah, just out of curiosity, how did they classify the boys from Little Sioux that died? What type of building was the shelter listed as, I mean.

Just my guess, sheldonsmom, but I think they classified it as a "business building". Their reporting standards only identify three types of building: permanent home, mobile home, and business.

B

CalicoPenn in respones to:

"Did I read this correctly? This particular father drives scouts to the campouts then goes into town and stays at a motel instead of camping? Now he's concerned about severe weather?"

Well , He did do this once. Since then he hasn't attended any overnighters. He does support us at daytime events though.

After taking what I 've heard here and applied to the fast and furious e-mails flying amongst the adults in the troop I think we may have quelled this tempest. I think the worry warts of the troop were unaware that so many of the contact leaders had already taken the BSA trainig. It has since been suggested that all leaders who may in future find themselves to to be the responsible adult in charge also take this training.

It might not be a bad idea to periodically review this training myself.

I guess no one in the "Issues & Politics" section wanted to discuss GM and Obama, so it's leaking into our weather paranoid helicopter dad thread :(

To keep it on track, for troops with trailers, are there benefits to having a small weather station installed in it? Wet Bulb, dry bulb, wind speed, barometer... That would be cool too. I saws where Bushnell was selling a GPS that allowed weather updates (with graphics) via connecting with XM radio. If you are over prepared, then you don't need to be paranoid (unless the weather is really out to get you).