What's the best way to use drums at a campfire? It just seems like the kind of music that would fit in. I could see 40 scouts playing drums around a campfire together would really get the blood going. Japanese Taiko, Indian drum circles, or Nalgene bottles and pots. If anyone has experience I'd like to hear about it.

At the very first Boy Scout campfire ever, on Brownsea Island, Baden-Powell introduced "The Scout's Chorus" (Eengonyama).

The hypnotic beat is drummed out with Scout Staves as a Scout jumps into the circle of campfire light, mimes out his part in a hunting exploit or Patrol battle, then jumps back to be replaced by another Scout, and then another.

I've always thought that would be the perfect place for drums.

See B-P's detailed "Scout War Dance" description:

http://inquiry.net/outdoor/campfire/songs/war_songs.htm

Kudu

Being part of an OA drum, we usually do ceremonies with it, ie AOL, Crossover, ECOH, Call Outs, etc.

Now this one time at a camporee, there was a college student who brought out his bagpipes. The drum knew Amazing Grace in Tsalgi and we asked him if he could join the drum in singing the song. MAN I WISH WE HAD RECORDED THAT AS IT WAS AWESOME! Imagine a 6 man powwow drum at full volume with bagpipes added in, spinetingling it was.

Oh and come to find out, the piper was also an OA member!

My first time in charge of an OA callout ceremony at summer camp, we didn't have drums available. I thought I had a perfect solution by running to the boatyard, located next to the campfire circle, and banging on a sailboat hull.

When I returned, full of pride at my resourcefulness, I was greeted with a chorus of whispered queries from my fellow staff members: "What the heck were you doing banging on the sailboats?"

Look up Drum Circle on the internet and use your location - if you're near a good sized city, you should find a few resources - if not, you may need to expand you search to your state.

With good research, you should be able to find someone within 150 miles or so who might be willing to travel for expenses and run a Drum Circle for you at a campfire. I think that would be a great alternative to the traditional skit and song fest. Of course, you probably can't do it at a state park unless you can reserve their "ampitheater" and get permission before you arrive (noise restrictions and all) but at a Scout camp, it should be a snap. Many folks who run Drum Circles will even provide the a variety of drums. The only limitation on the size of the group is the number of drums available - it may not be possible on a District level but certainly on a Troop level it should be doable (and of course on the Patrol level - Kudu, I'm nodding in your direction here - but (and this is a qualified but), in a Drum Circle, the more drums, the better - 6 to 8 drums can sound great - but 20 or more drums sound exquisite.

Why do I suggest a Drum Circle leader? For one, if they're supplying most of the drums, they'll supply a variety of drums, all with their own sounds - and that diversity is what really makes a Drum Circle sing. More importantly, they set the pace, rhythm and mood. A skilled Drum Circle Leader makes what appears to be a chaotic blend of noise into an exquisite pastiche of sound and motion. (Can you tell I've participated in my share of Drum Circles?).

I own several Bodhrans, which I have used occassionaly at campfires.

They are a nice size for use at a camp fire and even a idiot like myself can manage them.

They aren't cheap I think I paid about $100 for the least expensive one.

I know that in the District we have a fair number of boys who are in marching bands.

The drums they use belong to the school, so I don't see them allowing them to be used at Scout camps.

Eamonn.