How to handle Eagle project delays by receiving org.

My son has an approved Eagle Project for a local science museum. His project is the rebuilding and modification of 3 Dobsonian telescopes that are used in an education program. He has had most of the required materials donated and is ready to start on the project. However, the director of the program now has decided that the plan needs to be modified to include upgrading the telescopes. This requires that the director generate purchase orders for the needed parts. For two months now the director has made excuses as to why the parts have not been ordered, and he is only asking for funds one scope at a time. I feel that the project will never get off of the ground. My son is truly emotionally crushed, but will not consider another plan yet. He has sent several e-mails to the director trying to motivate him. Sometimes he gets a response, sometimes not. Has anyone dealt with anything like this before? Any advice?

Yes, I have seen this before, and there are really only two trails to walk here.

In most cases where this happens, the project sponsor (the director?) really has no clue as to what an Eagle project is all about. He only knows that there is some kid who wants to do something for him, and get credit for it in Scouts....how cute. The Director probably isn't aware of what his change of mind is doing to the project, the timing, the Scout, and possibility of screwing the whole thing up for all. He only knows what he wants for a finish product, and approaches the situation as if he's dealing with an outside contractor...someone he's paying. That attitude and lack of understanding can kill enthusiasm and a project. Thus, the first trail is to have someone, other than yourself, sit with the Director and explain the situation in fine detail, so the Director understands how working with an Eagle candidate is far different than hiring someone, and how his "change of mind" is putting the whole thing in jeopardy.

The second trail, unfortunately, is find a different project before time runs out for your son.

It may be that talking with the Director will solve the problem as perhaps he has no idea of the timing and emotional impact. It may be that he doesn't care, and the second trail is warranted. Hopefully not...but that may be the case.

Good luck.

What about the Scoutmaster and/or advancement coordinator providing some assistance? Unfortunately, even though this is a leadership project there are still many adults out there who will see him as just a kid. Maybe with some adult backup he'll somewhere with this director.

Also, has your son tried to talk with anyone else involved with the science museum? I'm guessing that this is a "board run" organization so he may need to go over this director's head. He may even find that one or more of the board members was in Scouts and will have a clue about the significance of this project.

Hope he gets things worked out. His project sounds interesting.

Melodee

Actually, there is a third alternative, but it may not apply here. If your son has completed the work, which was originally scoped and agreed to by the sponsor, he can plead his case to BSA. In other words, your son completed his part of the agreed contract. If it meets BSA's satisfaction then his project could still be signed off. This assumes of course that the sponsor is not being reasonable (which seems to be the case here). Here's the catch...He has to do the work which was originally agreed to by the sponsor. If the sponsor is prohibiting that from happening, then mcquillan is right...His only other alternative would be to find another project (assuming the suggested meeting with the sponsor fails to rattle this guy back to reality).

Wow! I really appreciate all of the responses. To answer some questions that have arrisen. Originally the director had assigned my son to work with another astronomer on staff. They developed the project and got it approved. After the approval is when the director started getting back into the mix and changing the plan. The original assistant, who agrees with the plan as written, has taken a back seat. His comment,"this is one of the reasons these projects never get done" My son did a great job of aquiring donations in the form of materials and a small amount of cash for the project. I have asked him to consider modifying and resubmitting his plan for approval to build from scratch a Newtonian/Dobsonian telescope to be donated to the local high school science program. For those that do not know, Newtonian/Dobsonian telescopes are fairly easy to build. It is 90% woodworking project with a little optical alignment skill thrown in at the end. Fun and educational.

An Eagle Project is sort of like a contract. Once the project is accepted and approved by the Director, the candidate is responsible for completing his end of the contract. Unfortunately, it's a pretty one-sided contract, for there's no way to force the Director to go forward with what he originally accepted and approved. And that smacks of changing the rules in the middle of the game. It happens, though, in Eagle projects and in life, and isn't good either way.

It occurs to me that the publicity about the project could go either way, too. A successfully completed project deserves accollades and publicity to show the community what has been accomplished. A project that is approved and accepted, but hindered by the mind changes and unresponsiveness of the original sponsor deserves some publicity, too. That's a long shot, and not very Scout-like. But if it was my project, and the sponsor changed his mind, and wouldn't meet a timely schedule as originally agreed, I'd be tempted to let others know about it.

Oops...didn't see your post until mine was on the way. But....

Bingo, you've hit a good idea there. If there's another organization who might work with your son and really appreciate the telescope, that sounds like a great way to go. It eliminates the Director and his methods...unless, of course, the school has a clone just like him.

Finding someone to enhance the director's understanding of what an Eagle project is seems to be a worthy way to go. Everyone would win. I will see if I can find an Eagle or active adult scout on the staff or board at the science museum. Possibly they could be of assistance.

Thanks again!

Most Eagle Scout review boards would like to see a completed project of 100 hours with the leadership skills to direct the effort. However there are exceptions, the project can be a bust provided the basic requirements are complete. Ask your district advancement chair. - if he has no suggestions seek out your councli advancement chair.

Depending on the age of the scout and the time invested a scout can pass with a failed project. It is much better to do a smaller project ( you can receive a 6 month extention from national in some cases).

I hope your son has documented his communications with the director. If he has not, he should prepare a timeline to the best of his recollection. This could become very important if some sort of appeal within the scouting organization becomes necessary.

The suggestion to contact your district advancement chair, and possibly the council advancement chair, is also sound. Chances are that this sort of thing has come up before and these worthies could offer sound advice as to what would be acceptable alternatives.