I bought the euricka timberline this morning, its a good tent but I'm still looking for a Two pole A style tent... something so simple for the kid to put up.

I have a older version of the Timberline and its a good tent. but its not so simple to put up and take down to my Cub Scout.

Frank

• 2 weeks later...

I get the same looks when I set up my "Scout" tent, which is really a 10x10 tarp. I have a canvas Scout issue tarp with tie offs and grommets all around.

I think the trend to the modern "umbrella tent" is driven by 1) the perceived need to keep out the creepy crawlies and skeeters. (desease!!) and 2)the desire to have the newest and trendiest (ipod pockets? designed in ventilation? instant erection?) 3) if so and so had it on Everest, it must be good. Nylon doesn't last near as long as canvas.It is lighter, surely, but with care, the canvas tent I think will last longer.

The Troop of my youth made our own tents/tarps. Cut out a 10x10 foot square of 6 mil black plastic sheet. Apply the best quality duct tape around the 4 edges, on both sides. Install a 5/8ths" grommet in each corner (need a supply of grommets and a hammer grommet set) and evenly set three more on each side. If you feel it necessary, apply more D/T where the grommets are to reinforce the area. To create the "Explorer" style tent, from one corner, measure about 2 feet along each side and find the lines intersection with the tarps diagonal. This will be about 32 1/2" down the diagonal from the corner. Place an 12" "X" of D/T here. Do the same on the other side. Punch a grommet here at the center of the "X". Your 4 or 5' tent pole goes here.

Now you have a very adaptable tent. Join two together for a dining fly. Be careful not to step on it, it can get holes in it. With care, it will last two or more seasons. The sun's UV light will degrade it and eventually make it brittle. When it has served it's purpose, use it as a ground cloth.