trip planning spreadsheet?

Has anyone developed a spreadsheet for trip planning purposes? Maybe something that includes itinerary, budget, patrol and individual equipment lists, meal planning and shopping lists (all on separate worksheets)?

If so, would you care to share it? I found a few online, including about four or five examples, for a Backpacking Light contest, and they're a good start. But I figure if someone wants to share their example, that would be great.

Thanks,

Guy

Guy with all due respect, please take this the right way.

Spreadsheets?

Our guys plan outings kind of like the (I think it's Sprint Commercial, what if firefighters ran things, "Ya want clean watah guys? Yeh! Done")

It's when do meet? 7am at the school.

When will we be back? Around 4 on Sunday. Good I don't want to miss the Pats game.

Who's doing breakfast? Bill and Joe. We'll bring eggs & oatmeal OK? Sure.

Who's doin lunch? John. Hey get the crunchy Peanut butter this time.

Who's doin dinner? Evan and Josh. Let's do spaghetti and meatballs. We did that last time lets do something else. What about sloppy joes? Yeh OK.

We won't have access to the cars. Campsite is a couple of miles in so bring your Backpacking stuff. Everybody brings their own water. Joe, you bringing the stove? Yeh. I'll get the cook kit from the hut.

Itinerary Done

Meals Done

Cooking Done

Equipment Done

If I gave the guys a spread sheet they'd role it up and use it as a fire starter.

SA

Understood, and not taken the wrong way :) (in fact, I am sheepishly acknowledging the idiocy of my question).

But, maybe if I had been more specific it might have made a difference? This would be for a 6-day canoe trip in Maine, with a bunch of tweener scouts (1st class to Star) who haven't gone on or planned a trip like this before (adults included).

GK 1st I would have a float plan (which will be an iten.) Have a Scout go through Safety Afloat. Since you are in canoes -- I am guessing you want to make sure you have what you need and no extra. Are you starting from scratch -- or have you done trips before.

Thanks guys...the troop has been around a long time, but the current crop (including adult leaders) is towards the young and inexperienced end of the spectrum...monthly outings are more in the style that scoutingagain suggests, and other than summer camp, there hasn't been any kind of long-term or high adventure trip for awhile. Troop tends towards adult-led and passive scouts.

Why a spreadsheet? I was kind of thinking along the lines of a template, or a tool, to assist with planning something out of the ordinary for us (also, I personally am cost-conscious enough that I'd like to see a budget estimate before committing). Even though the troop tends towards adult-led, I was hoping such a tool might be able to assist scouts with the process of planning their own trip. The trip is looking like a 5-day or 6-day flatwater river and lake trip in Maine. I like the idea of introducing "Safety Afloat" training. Thanks for the suggestion.

O.S. -- thanks for the Northern Tier guide link. That helps too.

Ah... now makes a bit more sense. I was afraid the MBA Woodbadgers were at it again. :)

Never mind.

In fact I'd appreciate it if you'd post a trip report later this summer that I could take to our unit leadership as an idea. Where you go, basic logistics, cost etc.

Thanks

SA

No problem...when I wrote my orginal note, I debated with myself (really -- you should try running between two podiums sometime :)) on how much detail to add. Of course, burned again, because most detail comes out in the end anyway.

I was worried the discussion might get bogged down in a "you should be going to the Maine High Adventure Area" rut, when in fact we've discussed that alternative and aren't going that direction (one reason is the overall cost; another is that not all our 1st class and above scouts were 13 by January 1 of this year).

Another bit of detail I've been shy about adding: the troop tends towards adult-run, and nobody has much experience planning a trip outside of a regular weekend trip (which is done on the fly) or going to summer camp (what's really to plan there?). I'm hoping not to piss anyone off, but I want this to be a sort of subtle step towards letting the scouts going on the trip plan their own trip. We'll see how that goes.

We have talked to an outfitter who has recommended a suitable trip (we'd be more swimming and fishing, versus hairy whitewater, such as the Allagash) and will take care of canoe rentals, dropoff and pickup. We're still in discussions about a guide -- one option is to invite an old friend of mine, who was on staff at the Maine National High Adventure Area years ago.

Another troop in our district is planning a trip down the length of the Connecticut River this summer. I'm planning on asking them a few questions too.

thanks,

Guy