Our Scouts down here in south Florida talk about how they wish they could go camping in the snow.

The campout that still gets the most discussion is one from one year ago - Fort Clinch, Florida - on the border of FL and GA. We had snow flurries. It rained like crazy the first night and day - heaviest during the set up of the camp - but they did everything well and got things set up despite the cold and the rain.

Now they look back on it as the greatest campout ever.

Our Klondike is tonight in Michigan. It's -5F last time I checked but is expected to warm up a bit with a low of around 0 by tonight. Teh Scouts are prepped and ready for anything. I've packed a few extra fleeces and blankets in case anyone needs some extra insulation but I think it's gonna be cold but fun.

I've prepared a scoutmaster minute at the end:

"We need the iron qualities that go with true manhood. We need the positive virtues of resolution, of courage, of indomitable will, of power to do without shirking the rough work that must always be done."

Theodore Roosevelt uttered these words about 100 years ago. I came across this quote earlier this week and thought of you guys.

We have survived this weekend in the bitter cold. Numb fingers putting up and taking down our gear, cold feet as we pulled the sleds, warm throats as we guzzled hot chocolate, ice growing on our facemasks, yet, we survived and thrived.

You young men have developed the iron qualities that go with true manhood, resolution, courage and indomitable will. No longer can you say those awful words I cant do that cause you just did this.

Congratulations. Together, you now have the memory of this tough weekend to go with you through your scouting life and your life as men.

Shakespeare perhaps said it best.

From this day to the ending of the world,

But we in it shall be remembered-

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers

Brothers, you have succeeded. Lets move on to our next challenge.

I'm off to Klondike tonight also, in Detroit Area Council's Michigami District. Staying in a cabin, but no indoor plumbing. Chilly outhouse trips for this weekend!

Boys prepared well and should do fine. We have a couple of new adults along on the trip who will need to be watched. I think they will be OK.

Wasn't it Teddy Roosevelt who said..."Don't forget your mittens!"?

I love this stuff!

A lot of camping in the cold is about gaining experience in the cold.

Starting fires is more difficult in the snow and cold. It is good experience to start one in winter. Cooking may require different menus, and preparations, plus you may need more calories. Gain that experience. Traveling is typically slower, and you are carrying a heavier load, again you gain more experience.

Scouts that can efficiently camp in the cold and snow typically have higher skills and are more efficient in the summer. Plus they then gain a measure of self confidence that will stick with them always. It is one thing to talk about what to do in the cold, but it's an experience to actually do it.

Activities they can do:

Cross country skiing

Downhill skiing

Animal tracks in the snow

Build shelters

Birding

Astronomy (clearer skies)

plus many more.

Plus, you get the bragging rights :)