LOOKING FOR NEW CAMPING AREA

I'm not sure what part of Alabama you're interested in but here are some suggestions from my experience:

Alabama has great state parks. I think all of them have camping areas. Check out their website: http://www.alapark.com/

The Little River Canyon is worth a trip:

http://www.nps.gov/liri/

Also the Russel Cave National Monument has a primitive area that a group can camp in. The rangers are really friendly and supportive and their demonstration of native skill is fantastic - great for wilderness survival MB.

Good luck.

Check out Bankhead National Forest. Has Smith Lake close by and the 25,000 acre Sipsey Wilderness Area for great hiking/backpacking/camping. Also check Monte Sano State Park in Huntsville. Plenty of hiking trails. Also The US Space and Rocket Center and NASA's Marshal Space Flight Center is located there.

The inside joke of the Florida panhandle is that we are sometimes referred to as "LA" (lower Alabama). We camp across Alabama at least once or twice a year.

For local trips, we sometimes show up at the Gulf State Park in Gulf Shores. It has taken a beating with hurricanes recently, but I have camped here since I was a Webelos.

Every 2nd or 3rd year, we hike a section of the Pinhoti trail near Cheaha State Park. Rugged area--great backpacking experience; thirty years ago as a scout my troop hiked 20+ miles of the Odom trail.

We also use the facilities in the Conecuh National forest, including (as we hike a lot) the Conecuh Trail.

Before I was with the troop, they used to go up to Lake Martin every year for an island campout, filled with watersports and excitement. This was one of the most popular trips we used to take, acording to the stories. Alas, the leader whose family owns the island left the troop.

Just across the state line (SE of Auburn) is FDR State Park in Georgia, another great destination. This area is much more rugged than one would expect for central Georgia. We hike (surprised, aren't you) the Pine Mountain Trail there on years opposite the Pinhoti Trail. Last year we had 3" of snow, and temps in the upper single digits. For a bunch of Florida boys, it was tough, and they are insisting that this year's long hike be in a wamer climate zone.

(This message has been edited by Buffalo Skipper)