Sea Base- training for Out Island Adventure

My daughters Venturing crew is confirmed for early, next June. At tonights committee meeting there was discussion about training and preparation for this trip to Sea base, and I thought I would post a question here. If there is anyone who has gone on this week long experience, the question is what kinds of training would be helpful to prepare the crew youth for this experience?

Kahits,

Though not a difficult "trek" as high adventure goes...

your crew might want to do some distance kayaking/canoeing just to build up a few skills and some endurance. long term-Light exercise is needed to build endurance...not for the "struggle" of the trek but to have enough energy to keep the crew participating rather than wimping out cause "they are too tired!"

I would also recommend spending a good bit of time learning to snorkle and really getting comfortable in the water. SWIMMING is important...If you have weak swimmers-start this week on skill improvement! Rent time in pools if necessary...join swim teams anything you can think of to help make your crew love the water. Your crew needs to be strong enough to pull themselves out of the water and onto the boats/kayaks or docks without ladders...several times a day...practice get out of the deep end of the pool until its a piece of cake!

We have sent a crew (some times two per year)to Out Island Adventure seven of the last ten years and the only members who weren't just bubbling over when they came back were the guys who did't want to get their "faces wet" ...or swim at night or go fishing or diving for lobster. And those poor souls who were confirmed couch potatoes and had no real desire to "dive" into the program...they were always too tired to want to do anything (thank goodness it was the same crew...they really missed out on a lot of stuff).

Both of my sons did the MUNSON Island thing and had a ball. Both carried several good under-water cameras and came back with some outstanding pictures-sharks, baracuda and many reef fish.

Both ate very well (dolpin-fish(mahi mahi) and lobsters) and they especially loved snorkling the reef at night and fishing for sharks with their hands...(not to worry...its a MUNSON thing)...

but like the "lottery ads" love to say...."Ya gotta play to win!"

Enjoy the key deer, the "bacca coons" - keep your food locked tight! And avoid the poisonwood trees (really)! Most of all have a great time!

Anarchist