Currently our troop has the scouts bring their own tents. This works most of the time but does cause a few issues. Camporees as tough trying to fit a bunch of huge cabin tents. A tent gets damaged and parents get upset. Tent envy, etc. Of course having troop tents has it's own set of challenges. Where to store 20 or 30 tents for starters. We got some tents a year and a half ago that were given to us. But they had problems. Only 6x6, they would leak in the rain, no ventilation. The scouts didn't want to use them, much less adults. The ideal tent would be about 8 x 8. Big enough for two cots and gear for a long term camp, but not so big that it it couldn't be split up and carried by two of three scouts on a back packing trip. I'm not a fan of zippers in tents and would prefer ties or Velcro closures. Floors could be optional.

If I could find a Baker tent in nylon.

Does anyone have suggestions?

Define your long Term Camping. Do you mean summer Camp?

But for things like weekend camp, why do they need cots. I understand the comforts are great, but that is why we have sleeping pads. If you really are looking for something that does not require floor, try Military Surplus. Look at the shelter-halfs. They are small, but they might be something that you are looking for.

Define your long Term Camping. Do you mean summer Camp?

Mostly summer camp, at least one of the camps we attend does not supply tents. We also hold a week long "trail to first class" camp at the beginning of June. Having the tents for this would be most helpful for. New scouts generally don't have a tent of their own, so they end up bringing their massive family tent. Issues abound.

If you really are looking for something that does not require floor, try Military Surplus.FONT>

Can go either way on the floor. It helps keep the rain out, and it is very nice to have in the snow, but I find for most camping it is added weight and something else to put a hole into. Shelter-halves would work for most campouts, they would get old using them for a week.There are some dome tents that would work, why they have to all use zippers is a mystery to me.

Why don't your Scouts have thier own backpacking 2-man tents? Leave the 'rent tent at home.

Some do. Although, even they tend to only bring them when they are backpacking. For many years now the troop has mostly done car camping (don't get me started). As scouts are moved further away from the comforts of the adults, I expect them to stop bringing the large tents. Institutional momentum is a hard thing to overcome.

If your troop has a really strong objection to zippers (and why is that, if you don't mind me asking?), consider working with your Scouts to make their own tarp-tent abodes. There are plenty of plans out there online, with lots of variety in materials. The beauty is that you can customize them to meet your needs - floors or no floors, zippers or ties, etc.

Working on such a project will also help the Scouts learn the virtue of thrift and the need to keep from damaging others' property. It becomes a whole different ballgame when somebody puts a hole in the tent you spent a good many hours slaving over.

And sewing skills are an added bonus!

The zipper thing is my objection. Too many jammed or broken zippers resulting in the loss of an otherwise serviceable tent. Too many scouts getting stabbed by a sprung safety-pin in a vain attempt to shut a door with a broken zipper. Now if they would just break at a more convenient time rather than in the middle of a dust/rain/hail/snow storm or locust plague and always, always at night.

My guess is that parents that send their munchkins out camping would prefer that they have zippers to keep all the creepy crawlies out. I more of an "embrace your inner critter" sort of guy.

Making their own tent is not a bad idea. I was thinking about a little less lofty goal like sewing a patch on a uniform, but that would work.

Dump the cots, way to much weight and room. Go with a good camp mat instead.

Our Troop has Coleman tents for all of the Scouts. Reasonablely priced and they give a Scout discount.

Other good tents can be found at Cabela's, REI, Eureka, Campmore, and Alps. Get expedition styles that have a stronger floor, zipper, and poles. Teach the boys how to care for a tent. Zippers can be replaced.

Get decent backpacking tents for the Troop that the BOYS will want to use. Your personal preferences (no zipper, no floor) do not really come into play here.

It is too bad your troop only does car camping. Perhaps having the wrong gear is an excuse on the part of some of the boys and parents for not taking up more challenging outings.

I concur with the suggestions that have been made:

1. Get rid of the cots. Sleep on the ground, even when car camping.

2. Move to two person tents capable of being backpacked.

3. I do not understand your objection to floors. It is not just the things that might crawl in, but also those that might fly in. Keeping mosquitos away is more than just a luxury. Likewise with ticks.

4. Similarly I do not understand the objection to zippers. I have never had a problem with a zipper on a tent and do not know of anyone who has had such a problem.

5. Another objection to large tents is that their large foot print requires more space. Smaller tents can be sited in more situations.

6. Yet another objection to large tents is vulnerability to wind.

Our troop does not own tents, and we do not encourage the use of large tents. Most people are equipped with and use back packable tents for everything we do.

A good tent should have a floor and a decent rain fly that covers the entire tent. The part of California we are in experiences a lot of rain sometimes and we want to have everybody properly equipped.

Hey, if I'm going to ask. I might as well ask for what I would prefer.

:-)

There are a number of Coleman tents that would work fine. Yes, zippers can be replaced as long as you have people that have the inclination to do so. At the moment I do, that may not always be the case. They are rarely repairable in the field.

I've had good luck with 4-man REI domes (Camp Dome 4, etc.) for car camping, and these are a reasonable size for 2-3 adults or 3 kids. REI Half Dome HC 2 is a good backpacking tent for 2 scouts. REI periodically has great sales on tents.

Get rid of the cots. If a fat older lady like me can sleep on a pad on the ground, then so can scouts.

As you make this move into Troop tents;

a)consider buying all the same model - you teach how to set one up you've taught how to set up all in the inventory. It's also easier in the dark.

b)ensure the Scouts know that they are responsible for damage - don't rip the zipper open, carefully slide the zipper slide to open it and always open it at least halfway to reduce stress on the zipper as one crawls through it.

c)consider the extra cost of the expedition tent - it does tend to weigh more but we are using the 4 man Timberline Outfitter and have had eight of those for more than a decade with NO repairs(the one that had needed a zipper repair after some intentional abuse was stolen along with two others out of the trailer)

As to cots - they're fine for summer camp. I use a backpacking design based on a six-inch high military cold-weather model but only for summer camp. The rest of the time I'm currently using a Exped SynMat 7 Air Pad(+/-$95) having gotten older and colder (It's lighter than what it replaced too)and graduating up from my 3/4 length Therm-a-rest I used for about 15 years and kept nice enough I was able to sell it for $40(no holes/no patches).

The blue insulating pad is all most boys need and at $4-10 depending on where you get it a bargain.

Get off of the cots. :)

I'm also doing some work on trying to utilize the Tarp and Tarp-tent type concepts, have my own prototype built and am in the testing phase. If I don't continue with it's development I will probably buy the kit from Ray Jardines website and that will be MY backpacker tent, possibly my all weather tent.

The boys will have to sew their own if they want one.

For zipper repairs/replacement(if necessary, consider consulting with your local alteration shop and even the shoe repair guy, our shoe guy does excellent work, does it cheap, and occasionally donates the work to the cause.(This message has been edited by Gunny2862)

Thank you Gunny. That tent would work. How many do you typically have using it? Four looks like it would be tight, but three would have plenty of room. I do like that it has straight side zippers, "D" shaped doors are where I've seen the zippers fail. It looks like it could be divided into 3~3 lbs. units for backpacking which is about right.

What do you do about adults?

At $250 it might be a hard sell as we would have $3-$4,000 up front cost. But spread the cost over 3 years and it works out to only an extra $22/scout/year.

As for cots. They have a number of advantages at summer camp. I doubt I would ban them on a weekend trip. If a scout wants to lug one a quarter mile, through brush and gully, who am I to stop him? That will take care of itself as we spread the scouts out.

jet526,

typically we have two youth per tent and one adult per tent when hauling the trailer or "car camping" and then typically we either utilize backpacking tents/tarps/improvise shelter when backpacking.

On the occasions that we do use the Expedition tents for Backpacking : (3 Scouts)one person hauls the main tent, one person hauls fly and groundsheet, one person hauls stakes and poles. Any weight inequity is balanced with food supplies.

(Adults)(ours) have a tendency to want to sleep alone - if they so choose then they are responsible for their own shelter and won't typically carry a 12 lb unit.

I occasionally share with one of the ASM's if he goes and we split it and make up the weight inequity the same way the Scouts do - with other supplies.

If I were starting our exposure to these tents out without our existing preconditioned mindset I'd use the guidelines below...

There is a lot of room for two Scouts and it's palatial for one adult - I would recommend that situation for Summer camp - as a treat.

But for regular camping - go with either 3 or 4 Scouts and two adults per tent(plenty of room to keep gear in the tent with up to 3 people in the tent - otherwise the gear needs a cover and to stay outside).

And I'd be really surprised if you didn't find the tents to be cheaper over time than you are supposing - when our three tents were stolen and we replaced them you can't tell the difference between the older ones and the newer ones with about seven years difference between when they were bought. The oldest ones are at least 12 years old now.

The oldest ones are at least 12 years old now.

That is good. The typical econo-tent is maybe good for 2 years, 3 if you are careful. Summer camps can be especially hard on tents. We camp a fair amount, they would have been used about 30 nights this year. The families may be spending more as it is. I found one place that is selling them low enough that even with the custom footprint it is under $200/tent.We'll see. The committee is going over next year's budget tonight and are already concerned about an increase in dues.

(Adults)(ours) have a tendency to want to sleep alone.

Ours do too. It is not that much of a problem except at Camporees. We always have a high adult turn out at them and they tend to show up with tents larger than my first apartment. The regular campers tend to have learned the benefits of ear plugs, are more willing to share and less willing to deal with a big tent.

Thanks again.