Transportation Questions

Bob,

I was informed different by my counsel when I inquired about the proper way of filling out a tour permit. They instructed me that even though the scout is being transported in their own vehicle by their parents. The BSA insurance won't kick in if the counsel doesn't have their insurance info on the tour permit.

The tour permit is not related to the BSA accident insurance in any way.

If there were to be an injury to a BSA member while traveling to a Scouting activity or event the BSA insureance would not come into play until after the insurance of all other parties who were involved was exhausted.

For instance, if on the way to family camp a family vehicle carrying a Cub Scout was struck by another driver, the liability insurance of the driver that struck them would be primary, the families insurance would be next, and if there were expenses related to the scout's medical coverage that extended beyond those two coverages then he BSA coverage would be in effect, with or without the tour permit being filed.

That said some misleading information has been shared I beleive. If you are not sure if a Tour Permit needs to be filed then you should check with your local Council office. Do not assume with tour permits that what the rule is in one council will be true in all councils.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yah, printman31, BobWhite is right in general, you're probably right in specific, eh?

It's very, very difficult to offer anything like clear guidance on legal matters across state lines and with vague hypotheticals. Speakin' in general terms, if a parent is transporting a child in their own vehicle, then da question of fact is whether this was a parent driving as a parent to a scout event, or whether da parent driving was actually part of the event. Just depends on da facts of the case, eh? I'd say if there were other, unrelated scouts in the car, and the parent were staying as a participant, then it's more clear, with or without tour permit, that the drivin' was part of the event. If only their child were in the car, then I reckon things might fall da other way.

Not that that matters much to anybody, eh? I imagine parents are pretty comfortable bein' responsible for drivin' their own kid places.

BobWhite is again correct in that local tour permits are at da option of the local council, despite what it says in the G2SS and other national trainin' documents. Those documents are general guidance for da country, where the council guidance is specific. Some councils want a tour permit for everything, some only for overnights, and some only for events outside da council service area. There are some border areas with Canada where local tour permits are used even for "international" travel.

Doesn't mean that fillin' out a tour permit even when it isn't "required" is a bad practice, eh? It's probably a good idea for plannin' purposes. That's what the form is for, to help us all be safe and remember important things before we go, eh? But as to requirements, it's best to just ask your local council.

Beavah

I don't know Bob or anyone else out here. My intentions were mearly to clarify the subject.Not to try & make Bob or anyone else look bad. What I posted is what I was told by our counsels field secretary. And she's the one who handles all our tour permits. So I'm trusting that this woman knows what she's doing. Well she knows more than I do so I'm not about to argue with her. I have my wife to argue with. Along with a very difficult committee member in our pack. I don't need any more women to argue with. ;)

Printman,

Your office person unfortunately is incorrect and is likely going by beliefs built by years of urban legends. While on a national training staff this summer I brought in as a guest presenters Phillip Moore, the Assistant Director of of BSA Insurance and Risk Management, and Richard Bourlon, the Director of BSA Health and Safety Division.

We asked them this specific question. Their explanation was that the Local Tour Permit is in no way related to BSA accident insurance coverage. The Local Tour Permiot is a planning tool to help units take appropriate safety planning steps in preparing for an outing, and If you have purchased BSA accident insurance or have it supplied by the council it is ALWAYS in effect on any official scouting activity.

Now, can not filling out the Tour permit effect BSA liability protection for the Charter Organization and the registered adults on the trip? That is an entirely different situation and yes it possibly can.

If you want to find out the answer for yourself on any safety or insurance related question you can e-mail Phil and Richard directly through the BSA website at http://www.scouting.org/HealthandSafety.aspx