an elementary question about backpacking

hi everyone...

I am preparing my son to go on a backpacking overnight. On his pack, at the bottom, there are two loops to attach his sleeping bag(at least I am assuming that this is what they are for.) We attached the bag, but as he walks, it swings and hits him on his backside. I am wondering how to afix this bag more securly to the pack. Can someone help out a novice? THanks. Here is a link to a picture of the pack.

http://www.mountainsports.com/msmain.asp?Option=Detail&Detail=064281

I would run each of the two straps:

1) from the loop

2) to a horizontal frame bar near the bottom of the pack (not shown in the photo),

3) down around the lower bar,

4) then back under the sleeping bag to the loop.

Before threading the second strap, try to tighten the first strap around the sleeping bag to make sure you have the buckle in the correct position.

Long straps are available in most hunting departments for a couple dollars.

Do NOT use bungee cords!

Kudu

Agree with Kudu about the straps, another thought, if straps sre used, besure the youth knows how to tighten and release the straps and that he knows how to re thread the buckle if he has to, Much easier to learn it at home than on the trail with the troop waiting for you

Yah, bungees are awful, eh? Can't remember the number of times I've seen 'em fail on trips, or watched as someone's sleeping bag got dumped into a river or whatnot when the bag got bumped a few times and the bungee stretched.

Big question: Is your son usin' an internal frame or external frame pack?

If your son is usin' an internal frame pack, then the sleeping bag goes inside the pack, not lashed to the outside. Those "loops" you're talkin' about are either for attaching an ice axe for mountaineering or are lash patches for use with small things. Stuff the bag into the lower compartment, or put it in a compression sack and then stuff it into the lower compartment of the pack. If yeh have a sleeping pad, some folks lash those on the outside, but it's best if they're lashed vertically, not horizontally as you describe. Or put 'em inside as well.

If your son is usin' an external frame pack, then Kudu describes pretty much what I would do. Take two 40" or so piece of 1" webbing with a buckle on 'em. Tie them with a clove hitch direct to the pack frame crossbar that's one above the bottom crossbar. Wrap 'em around into a big loop which also goes around the bottom crossbar of the pack the way anderle tells yeh. That way there's two points of contact (bottom and second from bottom crossbars) so the bag won't swing. The clove hitch lets yeh pull really hard to tighten things down. Again, if there's a couple of small loops near the bottom of the pack bag, those are ice axe loops or accessory patches. They aren't for attachin' a sleeping bag. Sleeping bags should always be secured directly to the frame, not to the pack bag (which will loosen when yeh take things out of the pack or move things around).

Hope that helps. Of course, these are really questions your son should be askin' his Patrol Leader, eh? ;)

Beavah(This message has been edited by Beavah)

asking other members of the troop (i.e. Patrol Leader) is not an option. Troop had a fall out last year and only young ones are left who have never been on a hiking campout before.

Yes it is an external pack. It is the Jansport Scout pack, and the Jansport website stated that the loops were for a sleeping bag. I was just trying to figure out how to use them. I can see what you mean by it all getting looser, as you empty the pack, but I am not sure how to lash it "vertically"

Thanks for the help.

Mike

No need to be sorry, cad-guy. I was the old fart who didn't pay attention to your picture. :p

I haven't seen this particular JanSport pack, so I can't speculate on what they were thinkin'. Pack companies often put various doodads and dangles on packs more for style and marketing than anything practical. Ignore the loops, fasten the sleepin' bag to the frame. Your son will be happier.

Beavah

Mike,

If you attach the sleeping bag directly to two bars of the frame as Beavah suggests, you can use the "sleeping bag loops" hanging from the pack to attach the sleeping pad using a second pair of straps. It will not flop around like the sleeping bag did.

You might want purchase a third set of straps and reserve the area of the frame above the pack for your son's share of group gear like a tent, food, cooking gear, etc.

A large cheap stuff sack might come in handy there if his share is a bunch of loose items.

Kudu

(This message has been edited by kudu)

All good suggestions about straps and not using bungee cords. Since you and your son are new to backpacking (hope he loves it, best hobby of my life) I thought I should just add: put the trash bag on the INSIDE of the sleeping bag stuff sack. I've seen kids and adults show up with the plastic sack on the outside. Don't laugh you old packers! I started using the heavier grade, white, trash compactor bags instead of the plastic trash sacks. Its easier to see inside the bags at night, I also use one of those big bags on the inside of my top loading external frame pack and then put everything inside. Again easier to see inside a white bag than the inside of a dark colored pack - and accidental discovery that has worked well.

Happy Trails!!

Anything that loads below the frame will flop because there is nothing to secure it to. I have found that the bag can be mounted on the front of the bag instead of below it and then tump line it and then balance the load between hips and spine. Becareful of such a practice because the extra weight one can take on with this rig will be tough on those with bad knees and flat feet.

Stosh