an elementary question about backpacking

I don't know if you bought your backpack at a good retailer or not, but if you did it might be worth your while to go back there and ask them to show your son how to pack it. Actually, even if you didn't buy it there, it might still be a good idea - the "mountain gear heads" I've known who work at those shops won't care, because they're in it for the discount (and usually really like to show newbies how to do things), and the manager of the store won't mind because he/she will be on the lookout to sell you stuff. Especially if the emphasis is on your son learning - they'll have a customer for a very long time. Don't be embarrassed, we all started somewhere!

And your son might end up with a more comfortable trip.

Vicki(This message has been edited by Vicki)

Through the loops on the bottom of the pack and then around the frame. I would hope there is a horizontal frame piece somewhere about where the straps attach to the outside of the frame and if so that is where you run the straps over. You reserve the top for tent and ground pad. I know it says "bag shelf", but unless you can't mount it to the bottom I wouldn't put my bag up there.

" Actually, even if you didn't buy it there, it might still be a good idea - the "mountain gear heads" I've known who work at those shops won't care, because they're in it for the discount (and usually really like to show newbies how to do things)"

Very true. Even the owners can be very helpful in situations like this. I bought a pack directly from Alps Mountaineering based on the description. It was supposed to fit me well but I was miserable with it. So I stopped in at a privately owned shop that carried Alps. Told him what I had and he said, "Bring it in and I'll fuss with it and see what's what."

I took it in, he loaded it up with stuff and spent about 15 minutes trying to get it adjusted to fit me. Just couldn't do it. He found another pack on his wall that was in my price range, spent another 15 minutes fiddlling with that one. It wound up felling like it was made for me. I bought it from him and he even gave me an unannounced 10% discount because I'm a Scouter.

As long as you don't make a habit of buying at Wally World and then going to them for help, most small shop owners will be willing to help because they know that they survive by giving better customer support.

Most new scouts seem to have big fluffy bags so this would not work unless the bag is compact, but I keep my sleeping bag in the bottom of the top compartment of my external pack. On the bottom of the frame is where I have my tent and ground pack, and this method has my pack well adjusted for weight balance. Since my sleeping bag is under such things as the crew gear and food in addition to the waterproof bag for my sleeping bag, the food and gear are also in a leakproof bag just in case. Although it does not work for many the point is that there can be many options for placement provided that it is balanced, not floppy, you can find your stuff and get to your rain gear quickly.

Most new scouts seem to have big fluffy bags so this would not work unless the bag is compact, but I keep my sleeping bag in the bottom of the top compartment of my external pack. On the bottom of the frame is where I have my tent and ground pack, and this method has my pack well adjusted for weight balance. Since my sleeping bag is under such things as the crew gear and food in addition to the waterproof bag for my sleeping bag, the food and gear are also in a leakproof bag just in case. Although it does not work for many the point is that there can be many options for placement provided that it is balanced, not floppy, you can find your stuff and get to your rain gear quickly.