how to handle peanut allergies on camping trips?

From our research, it seems to be that most of the allergy related deaths each year (about 150 in the US annually) are teenagers. Some of very careful and something still gets by them, and others become nonchalant, just as @5yearscouter is seeing.

I understand that some Scouters have seen 'fake allergies', for us and our children (we also have a younger daughter with the same type of severe food allergies) it is very real and very life threatening. I appreciate all of the advice and tips from people here on the board.

We have considered trying the Peanut treatment in which they build up the immunity, however, it is still in the testing phase and there is also a medicinal school of thought which is testing to find out if exposure to allergens actually makes it worse in some people.

Our son's allergic reactions have gotten worse with each reaction, so his doctors have now prescribed that he carry two epi-pens and administer both in the event of a reaction.

I have gotten some great feedback so far on the boards, and while it is not easy (the only easy day was yesterday, right?), I am optimistic that we can work with our troop and the local Scout camp to take reasonable steps to allow him to fully participate in Scouting.

Thanks, again for the helpful feedback.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read this forum topic with great interest. My 16 year old son, Morgan, has life threatening food allergies to peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, fish and shellfish. His participation in Cub and Boy Scouts has been challenging, but it's been an opportunity for my husband/Morgan's Dad to participate in Scouting. Morgan is now an Eagle Scout, and has participated in Leader Training in our area of Colorado Springs teaching adults about food allergies. When he began Boy Scouts he trained his Troop (at that time 100 boys), about food allergies, administration of his EpiPen, and how to keep him safe. We are now working on getting food allergy training and EpiPen administration training to become part of the First Aid Merit Badge. There can be misunderstandings about food allergies and what's necessary to keep a Scout safe.

If you'd like to read more about Morgan's experience with Boy Scouts, please see this article that our family wrote: http://www.allergicchild.com/allergicblog/?p=151

Please let me know if you have more ideas on this topic of food allergies & Scouting by emailing me at Nicole@AllergicChild.com