how to handle peanut allergies on camping trips?

One of our scouts has a severe peanut allergy and even the aroma of peanut-containing foods can cause a reaction. The troop has cooked as a group but we are now moving to have patrols plan their own menus, and purchase and prepare their own meals. We plan on educating the scouts on selecting foods that do not contain peanut but I wondered if you had any other suggestions on ways to reduce risk in this situation.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The biggest things to watch in my experience as the Director of Food Service for a Large YMCA Camp are processed foods. The larger the amount of whole unprocessed foods you can work with the better.

Deserts like cakes, cookies, brownies are largely processed either with peanuts or in factories that handle peanut containing products. Things like snack mixes (chex, etc....) are often problematic. It is important to have any lables double and triple checked (I know it will kill some of the 100% boy led proponents but have an adult check it) Ensure the other scouts and scouters know about the situation and make them aware of how a small mistake on their part can possibly cause severe reaction (Someone with a candy bar/granola bar in the their pack, etc.....)

Make sure others in the troop know how spot any signs of an alergic reaction, and what they could do to help out in the event of a reaction.

Its very important to BE PREPARED

Rythos

If I was the scoutmaster of the troop I would hold a meeting with the scout and his parents and explain to them that since this is a safety issue that this scout may bring his own food and supplies on each outing he attends. He and they will be responsible for his safety. There is no other way to insure that some uninformed grub master or the grub masters transport to the store does not endanger this kid. Even if his patrol cooperates what if they run out of oil and unwittingly borrow peanut oil from another patrol? I would credit them with alloted meal money for each campout. A major portion of most troops diets is PB&J look what they put out at most summer camps for seconds (that reads I don't like what's for dinner to adults)

Even if the child brings his own food, in the example given by the original poster the scout has an airborne peanut allergy. If the troop does not select menus based on peanut free options this scout will have to eat seperately from the rest of the scouts. This is a problem that will be come more and more common for scouts and scouters to deal with as we seem to be finding more and more kids with food allergies and sensitivities such as Celiac Sprue (the folks with the doctorates love to argue if more kids have allergies today, or if we can just detect more allergies with improved testing)

Rythos

Linda,

Welcome to the forums.

Glad to hear the Troop is moving to Patrol cooking. I think a great topic for your son's PL to ask the PLC for is "food allergies and camp cooking." Have the kids find and bring in a home ec (excuse me, human ecology) teacher to talk about these challenges. Explain, as Rythos said, how more ingredient cooking (vice processed foods) can reduce risk.

Advocate purging peanut oil from the patrol boxes!

Finally, ask for a doctor's assessment from the family. I saw one kids' allergy list at Scout Camp this year: How that boy wasn't living in a bubble was beyond me. Getting the medical degree of risk can drive how deep the caution should run.

How does this kid walk into any grocery store & not suffer the consequences of this allergy? I can understand this being a problem in a closed environment, but not in the outdoors. Sure the unit can ban all peanut stuff from campouts but as once they go to summer camp, this kid is gonna be in trouble.

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

Yah, like anything, I reckon it's best to sit down with the parents and talk about the issue, eh? Lots of time it also helps to get the parents' OK to talk to the child's allergist as well. Be upfront about wantin' to accommodate the lad, but also be upfront about the realities of scoutin' and the limits of a youth-run, volunteer supported program to keep their child safe. Explain that you're not a school with a professional staff and dietitian, and you will never be. Lots of parents understand and will help yeh work it out, eh? But be very, very careful of da ones that want you to be babysitter and take full responsibility for managin' this.

In terms of prep, yeh want the boy to carry epi & high-dose fast-actin' antihistimine, and yeh want the patrol to carry it, and yeh want the adults to carry it. Train everybody, includin' senior youth and adults, on administration. Work with the boy's physician to set that up.

Beavah

evmori writes:

Sure the unit can ban all peanut stuff from campouts but as once they go to summer camp, this kid is gonna be in trouble.

Not if they Google and support summer camps that offer Patrol cooking.

The PATROL METHOD: What a concept!

Kudu

To remove the risk for patrol method cooking, I would suggest the Troop is educated about food allergies, proper food handling, and sanitation. (Do not have the Scout's parents do the presentation) Then after the Patrol plans their menus, the Scout in question should review them for any possible concerns. It wouldn't hurt to have an Assist. Scoutmaster look over it as well. The big concern will be in the future, as folks forget about allergies as time goes on.

evmori writes:

Sure the unit can ban all peanut stuff from campouts but as once they go to summer camp, this kid is gonna be in trouble.

I ran the kitchen operations for a Boy Scout Summer Camp for three summers. We had all kinds of allergies including the dreaded severe airborne / can't touch the same door handle peanut allergy. We were able to work through them without any problems or removing the PB and Jelly from our Dining Hall. (Despite parental protests...) It takes a little bit of planning, awareness by the folks doing food prep and other Scouts, an attentive Scout (the one with the allergy), and a few modifications.

Keep it Real,

Dan

WI Certified Restaurant Manager

I agree, Kudu, but there is still the chance when this Scout is walking around the camp someone will have an open bag of peanuts with the scent wafting through the air!

I went with my wife to her allergist last night & asked about this. The allergist said this would have to be extremely severe & that is extremely rare!

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

I went with my wife to her allergist last night & asked about this. The allergist said this would have to be extremely severe & that is extremely rare!

This may be true but if a parent tells me their child has an airborne peanut allergy that has the potential to cause a life ending allergic reaction I have no choice but to take it seriously.

What I can do however, is have some detailed conversations with the parent of the scout. This will help to narrow down if the parent is trying to establish a peanut free outting just to attempt to reduce the risk of cross contamination or accidental exposure, of if there is actually a serious risk of airbore reactions.

Many parents are just convinced that we will not take their problems/concerns seriously and assume overexaturating the situation will make for a safer out come for thier child. In truth it would be safer if we excluded all peanut products from every meal (many schools now do this), however it creates a ton of extra work and planning which often isn't needed.

Once again my thought is be prepared. Talk with the parent to determine the extent of the allergy, and let her know you take this seriously and are interested in making this work for her son. Talk to the boy to determine his level of awareness, talk to the leaders and other scouts about how important allergies and food safety in general is.

A solution can be reached that is safe and workable for everyone.

I haven't read all the responses, but wanted to add my 2cents worth as a parent of a child with allergies. My youngest son is allergic to milk (not lactose but milk proteins). If he is still allergic when he crosses over into Boy Scouts, I will work with him and the boys in his patrol.

The Troop should work woth the this boy aand not have peanut butter items on the menus. It is not impossible to work around this. Out Troop used to keep peanut butter in the Patrol box in case a boy didn't like what was on the menu, but we don't do that any more. It isn't impossible or really hard to work around a peanut allergy.

All good advice. Beyond the cause though is treatment. An epipen will have an effect on a severe case like this for between 5 and 15 minutes. The lead time it seems is minimal unlike normal anaphalaxis which has a slowish onset. So this boy needs rapid medical help. I am no doctor and there are well qualified people on the forum who have discussed this before.

The SM must check the campsite proximity to emergency services. Do not depend on a helicopter. They will choose two patients over one, they will also not fly in lots of conditions. They are never gauranteed. Unless a vehicle can attend in under 15 minutes more than one epipen is needed. Or..

consider if you are heading to remoter places getting a GP to write a protocol and getting a couple of adults trained for adrenalin by needle. We have a boy in our Troop who carries needles for diabetes and he has no first aid training beyond Scouts. He learned how to inject in the local GP's office. Adrenalin can also be injected by needle. Get a couple of ASM's trained by the local GP, I can email the protocol we use at work, the GP can modify it. It is not hard, you will not inadvertantly kill the boy, it is economically viable ($2-50 per shot here).

OK - having written that I suggest any further discussion be on another thread - it tends to get emotive and this thread has been primarily about food. If I didn't have to go to work I'd figure out how to start a thread from here myself.

There seems to be no question that this boy should bring his own food. It should be kept in a separate location from the rest of the troops food, and not handled by anyone other that the boy and maybe one other adult. He may also need or want to bring his own cooking utensils and pots...etc. Even washing his cooking gear can be a problem. I would think that his gear should be washed first before anyone contaminates the wash water. But I think that this is the easy part.

My question would be this........how do you handle his tent mate who just sat around the campfire eating a bag of peanuts (or whatever) then crawled into a sleeping bag right next to the boy with the allergy. Exhale...inhale....exhale.....inhale....you all get the point???

I am not sure that this boy should have to bring his own food. This is a perfect opportunity to teach the others. Food allergies are dealt with at schools and other public facilities every day. Why would this boy's Troop not be able to handle it?

If this boys is having to bring his own food, cook his own food and be the only one handling his food. How is he going to learn the patrol mehtod? How will he finish the cooking requirements for first class? And how can he seriously be a part of any patrol?

These boys can be taught. In this case maybe it is the responsibility of an adult to step in and theach the boys (and other parents). Otherwise, there is a chance of alienating this boy and driving him from the Troop.