Camp Avery Hand lowers flag for last time

Camp Avery Hand had between 200-250 acres. Firelands Scout Reservation has over 450 acres, much of it completely undeveloped.

Several years ago, a tornado took down many of the trees at CAH. It went from a camp to a campground. Still very nice, but without the trees, it wasn't the same.

The council has secured a conservation easement for FSR with a local preservation group. They got a very nice sum with permanent stipulations. I don't remember all the details, limited development, maintaining the river area, no logging - type stuff.

This is my council. The Troop I'm with camps at FSR for summer camp. I've camped at both camps and really like them both. It saddens me to see stuff like this happen. I won't go into the political side of the sale. I have my opinions.

When we lose our camps, we feel we've lost a part of ourselves. Like we've lost part of our youth. It's unfortunately becoming too common. I was upset when Camp Miaconda (Erie Shores Council) sold off acreage to developers for condos. This was the camp I went to as a youth. I've been told the Cleveland Area Council sold off their camps several years ago. Both councils are within an hour of here. As previously stated, we sold Camp Wyandot and now CAH closed.

But guess what, no matter what you do or where you go, it doesn't happen without $$$$. There are good things that will come out of this. For some it's going to take some time to adjust but life will go on. For others this will be a grudge to take to the grave.

• Upvote 1

Even though I live closer to Firelands...And do love that camp, Avery Hand holds a special place for my family too. My son loved the fact that everything was closer to get to at Avery Hand, and no long hike up hernia hill for dinner every night. I haven't seen the books for the council, and frankly would understand little of it if I did, but with the number of scouts in our large council paying and the endowments the council has taken in I dont find it hard to believe that there is no money for the camps..with the blatant mismanagement of funds for the lease we had for the council headquarters, and the rather well paid "professional" staff. I better stop here before I really get upset and type something unscoutlike.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Asking price for Avery Hand: $1.4 million.

From the ad:

The property is in first rate condition and has full camp ammenities; dining hall, activities/craft buildings, staff lodging facilities, bunk house cabins, high ropes course, fishing/recreation pond, open area for sports and team building activities, camp fire sites, woods and trails for hiking and tent camping, archery/rifle range, maintenance buildings and 3 bedroom caretakers house on premises.

Full details here: http://tiny.cc/1EP5T

• 12 years later...

Update 8/21/2021:  The Ohio Bird Sanctuary is located on 93 acres of the former Camp Avery Hand.

The mission of the Ohio Bird Sanctuary is to create an environment of learning and interaction with nature that generates within people a desire to be compassionate and good citizens of our natural world. At the Sanctuary, this is accomplished by providing innovative, environmental education and modeling stewardship of wildlife and natural resources.

The mission is carried out by providing three primary services: Professional care for injured, orphaned, and displaced native birds, educational nature programming for all ages, and the operation of a nature preserve and living museum that has been thoughtfully designed for accessibility.

Originally called the Richland County Raptor Rehabilitation Center, the organization was established as a nonprofit in 1988 by biologist Gail Laux and her husband, Chris, on their family farm near Bellville.  Within a decade, the Sanctuary had become known as THE place to bring injured and orphaned birds in Ohio.  

By 1997, the Sanctuary had outgrown the farm and moved to its current home on Orweiler Road near the headwaters and marshlands of Clear Fork Reservoir. This property was purchased by the Sanctuary from the Heart of Ohio Boy Scout Council (part of it had been known as Camp Avery Hand).

Over 160 community donors and elected officials celebrated the completion Friday of the unique Treehouse Classroom of the Ohio Bird Sanctuary, the major resource of avian, nature, and conservation expertise and education in Ohio.

“The already-funded Treehouse Classroom is the Sanctuary’s first step in the development of capital projects that will advance our mission and expanding role in outdoor education,” said Gail Laux, founder and executive director.

More at source link

https://www.richlandsource.com/life_and_culture/ohio-bird-sanctuary-soars-with-treehouse-classroom-wings-campaign/article_b0918fd6-008c-11ec-8ed4-5ba1c303b40d.html

• Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

Update 8/21/2021:  The Ohio Bird Sanctuary is located on 93 acres of the former Camp Avery Hand.

The mission of the Ohio Bird Sanctuary is to create an environment of learning and interaction with nature that generates within people a desire to be compassionate and good citizens of our natural world. At the Sanctuary, this is accomplished by providing innovative, environmental education and modeling stewardship of wildlife and natural resources.

The mission is carried out by providing three primary services: Professional care for injured, orphaned, and displaced native birds, educational nature programming for all ages, and the operation of a nature preserve and living museum that has been thoughtfully designed for accessibility.

Originally called the Richland County Raptor Rehabilitation Center, the organization was established as a nonprofit in 1988 by biologist Gail Laux and her husband, Chris, on their family farm near Bellville.  Within a decade, the Sanctuary had become known as THE place to bring injured and orphaned birds in Ohio.  

By 1997, the Sanctuary had outgrown the farm and moved to its current home on Orweiler Road near the headwaters and marshlands of Clear Fork Reservoir. This property was purchased by the Sanctuary from the Heart of Ohio Boy Scout Council (part of it had been known as Camp Avery Hand).

Over 160 community donors and elected officials celebrated the completion Friday of the unique Treehouse Classroom of the Ohio Bird Sanctuary, the major resource of avian, nature, and conservation expertise and education in Ohio.

“The already-funded Treehouse Classroom is the Sanctuary’s first step in the development of capital projects that will advance our mission and expanding role in outdoor education,” said Gail Laux, founder and executive director.

More at source link

https://www.richlandsource.com/life_and_culture/ohio-bird-sanctuary-soars-with-treehouse-classroom-wings-campaign/article_b0918fd6-008c-11ec-8ed4-5ba1c303b40d.html

Great to see former scout camps still serving conservation and outdoors related experiences and education. My hope is that many of the camps that will be sold through the bankruptcy can still be preserved as much as possible as open space. 

• Upvote 4