So, like most women theres nothing I love better then taking a nice shower or bath or whatever and I love the different kind of scents you can get with shampoos and soaps especially the kind that leave you smelling good. J Well I heard fairly recently that its dangerous to go hiking/camping/backpacking when you smell either floral (honey suckle, violet, sweet pea, lavender) or like food (peach, wild berry, strawberry, chocolate, vanilla honey etc, watermelon) because of wild animals. Now granted I wouldnt rub steak all over my body before camping in bear countrybut from what Im hearing it almost sounds like these body washes and shampoos can attract animals, especially those with good smell like bears. I do know from previous experience that if I have used some kinds of soap I seem to attract more insects, specifically mosquitoesI think it might be because of the sugary sweet smell (Ive had the feeling before like Ive bathed in sugar and water with all the bites Ive gotten). But would something like that actually attract a larger animal like a bear

When you introduce non-natural scents into the wild, what do you expect curious omnivores like bears to do? They will investigate to see if they can eat it. Bears are scent driven. They use it to find food. Espcially if they can't identify the scent. They are very adapted and specialized to do this. It doesn't have to smell good, it just has to smell. What may smell good to you, might be offensive to a bear, or might be food. Likewise, what smells bad to you, like boot stink, probably won't even raise the ears of a bear. Nor will it mask the scent of food. Remember, bears will eat rotten flesh and human poop.

Best to go into the wild smelling just as God intended you to, au naturale. Hopefully the bears have already smelled you and not connected that scent with food.

One of the practices that they recommend at Philmont (at least when I was last there) is to NOT apply any sunblock or insect repellant after 3:00 PM. The idea is that scents would have dissipated or the material washed off with sweat etc. so that when one retires in the evening you are not giving out any non human scents. I can only say that I have followed this advice and have never been attacked by a bear in the evening when I did so. Never been attacked by a bear at all come to think of it....

I grew up on the edge of the BWCAW. As many of you know, while the mosquitoes are bad, the sand flies (black flies) are vicious. Unless we were absolutely filthy, my mother only *let* us bathe once a week. When we were dirty, we attracted fewer biting insects. I don't know if it was that we didn't smell "clean" or if the scent of Breck shampoo wore off.

Living outdoors in the summer, we tended to wash with products like Dial and Phisohex - nice medicinal smelling stuff which made us less attractive to critters.

In Bear Country, California State Parks provide "bear proof" lockers (I use quotes because experience has shown that nothing is truly bear proof for a very determined bear). On their picnic tables, they have bolted (ok, pop-riveted) a metal plate with directions on how to use the lockers, and why. Among the things they tell you to put into the bear locker is your deoderant, toothpaste, shampoo, soaps, shaving cream, etc. In other words, personal hygiene products that most of us forget about when we do hang bear bags (go on line and research how to use set up a bear bag - and do it religiously every night - you will be camping in black bear habitat, and you won't likely have these nifty bear lockers - and a cooler does not count as a bear locker).

So, if we should be putting these personal hygiene products in a bear bag or bear locker, logic should tell us that the use of this stuff can attract bears. Now I wouldn't worry about using it in the morning - but I sure wouldn't want to use "Gee, your hair smells like Strawberries" at night. Even better, go get the non-perfumed stuff. They do make non-perfumed deoderant and soaps - and you can find non-perfumed shampoos in most natural foods stores.

Of course, even better than that - don't sweat the "must be absolutely clean at all times" mantra typcal of our urban-oriented society. It's ok to go without a shower for a few days on the trail - by the end of the hike, you'll all be so equally ripe that you won't really notice it. Use non-scented baby wipes to freshen up - that helps - and change clothes everyday - clothes really trap odors - its amazing what a fresh t-shirt will do, even if you haven't been able to shower or bathe yet. Cleanliness in the woods is more about getting the major stuff - dirt stains, etc. than about being so clean you squeak.

CP,

To amplify, to me cleanliness in the backcountry is...

Keeping the parts which can chafe from starting to chafe.

Keeping hands clean when cooking or eating.

Keeping camp bowl, cup, and K/F/S clean so dysentery cannot happen.

Enjoying a dip in the lake or a cool bucket of water to sponge off the dust.

Good advice above. I would add you should be careful not to spill food or toothpaste, etc. on your clothes. It is easy for a scout to mindlessly wipe his hands on his shirt, so be diligent. Also watch for spills with a bowl of food in your lap so that it does not get on the shorts. The bear won't care that it's just a little food on your clothes. Around here it is black bear on the AT, in the Smokies, etc. Although they don't have the reputation of the grizz, I take bear safety serious. Be safe, have fun, learn scoutcraft.

Camping far away from bears is different than backpacking on the AT. Still on all campouts we have a strict "no food in the tents" policy in an effort keep other critters away and we practice hanging food bags to teach the proper way to do it. We don't hang the igloo coolers on a car campout, they go in the trailer or a truck. ;-). No one wants a skunk rummaging around near his tent.

(This message has been edited by knot head)

Ok, here's my take on the subject. I've been camping in bear country throughout the US so my comments apply to wherever anyone lives.

Bears aren't the only animals one has to watch out for. Smaller animals can cause just as much if not more damage than bears.

Smelling good isn't the issue it's what does the animal associate whatever scent you are giving off mean to them.

Any scent that is associated with humans can attact animals, including the natural scent of humans.

And although I am not female, every backpacking guide I have found makes reference to females not venturing out into bear country while they are having their menstral period.

Doing everything right isn't going to keep one safe. I was told by a NPS ranger that a family had camped in bear country and left their dishes/food out all the time. Bears came in regularly and helped clean up things. However, the next family came in, did everything correctly and the bears came in, found no food and tore the place to shreads looking for it.

It is more important to know what to do when encountering an animals than to try to avoid them.

Stosh

Here's a web site on how to live in black bear country:

http://www.ncrs.fs.fed.us/epubs/ht66.html

and another from British Columbia:

http://www.cmiae.org/bearprecautions.htm

I have always understood that the perfume problem was two-fold: First, the scent might mask the human scent that a bear might try to avoid, and Second, it might also contain elements of animal musk that may contribute to bear behavior that we would not expect. I'm not sure about the scientific basis of either of these, however, if there is any such basis.

I do know that on the one occasion when a black bear came barreling down on me and my wife, neither of us was wearing perfume and in fact probably smelled pretty strong of human scent.

Anyway, I don't worry too much about smelling good on the trail and I don't expect such from others when I meet them. As I understand it, there was a time when bathing was considered unhealthy and the longer one could avoid bathing (and here I'm talking about months or years), the better. Go figure.

And, as with air conditoining, as I repeat often to my children, people survived for many thousands of years without it. Same with perfume or even soap for that matter. Goes in one ear and out the other, almost unattenuated. ;)

Yeah, unfortunately our cellar is in the 90's too. Daughter home for summer complains about the temperature in the house. I note that the thermostat is set precisely where she set it during her winter visit, so tough luck. I just love those withering looks she gives from time to time. I tell her to pay the power bill and she can set the thermostat wherever she likes.

Back on topic, sort of, anyone know why dogs seem to love to roll in dead carcasses and eat cat feces? I mean, if I want to clean out a cat box, I just set it outside for a few hours and dogs from the neighborhood meticulously pick out all the solid stuff. And then the owners seem to just love it when the dogs lick their faces. Go figure.

Regarding dead animals, the dogs seem to especially savor dead, really decayed fish over other animals. Anyone else notice this? Maybe they can better sneak up on bears or backpackers when they are so disguised?

>> Regarding dead animals, the dogs seem to especially savor dead, really decayed fish over other animals. Anyone else notice this? Maybe they can better sneak up on bears or backpackers when they are so disguised?